Feb 21, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
A tough year for forwards in St. Louis just got a lot tougher.
Having already gone extended periods without David Perron, Andy McDonald, Alex Steen, Matt D’Agostini and Jason Arnott this season, the Blues announced today that alternate captain Jamie Langenbrunner will be out at least four weeks with a broken bone in his left foot.
The injury occurred during St. Louis’ loss to Chicago on Hockey Day in America — on Tuesday, GM Doug Armstrong announced Langenbrunner would be headed to injured reserve and the foot would be re-evaluated in a month.
Langenbrunner, 36, posted 4G-17A-21PTS in 57 games with St. Louis this season, providing veteran leadership in a second-/third-line role. He averaged just under 15 minutes a night and was recently skating with McDonald and Patrik Berglund on St. Louis’ second line.
It’ll be interesting to see how Armstrong reacts to this latest injury. Langenbrunner joins Arnott, D’Agostini and Steen among the walking wounded, pretty significant absences for a Blues team that struggles to score goals at the best of time (currently ranked 20th in goals per game.)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)