Feb 21, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
A tough year for forwards in St. Louis just got a lot tougher.
Having already gone extended periods without David Perron, Andy McDonald, Alex Steen, Matt D’Agostini and Jason Arnott this season, the Blues announced today that alternate captain Jamie Langenbrunner will be out at least four weeks with a broken bone in his left foot.
The injury occurred during St. Louis’ loss to Chicago on Hockey Day in America — on Tuesday, GM Doug Armstrong announced Langenbrunner would be headed to injured reserve and the foot would be re-evaluated in a month.
Langenbrunner, 36, posted 4G-17A-21PTS in 57 games with St. Louis this season, providing veteran leadership in a second-/third-line role. He averaged just under 15 minutes a night and was recently skating with McDonald and Patrik Berglund on St. Louis’ second line.
It’ll be interesting to see how Armstrong reacts to this latest injury. Langenbrunner joins Arnott, D’Agostini and Steen among the walking wounded, pretty significant absences for a Blues team that struggles to score goals at the best of time (currently ranked 20th in goals per game.)
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)