Feb 21, 2012, 11:33 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings’ home winning streak remains intact at 23, but they might want to find a way to get things together when they’re not at Joe Louis Arena.
The Chicago Blackhawks extended their own winning streak to four games tonight with a tight 2-1 win over Detroit, pushing their division rivals’ road record to a surprising 15-16-1. Corey Crawford‘s four-game winning streak matches his teams and he’s playing like the guy who the franchise finally decided to settle on last off-season.
This loss ends the Red Wings’ more general winning streak of six games, but it might be valuable for the purposes of Jimmy Howard shaking off his rust while not putting the home run in jeopardy.
They play their next two games at home, including Thursday’s game against the Vancouver Canucks – the contest that the largest amount of PHT readers believe will end it all. That Vancouver game could have a serious impact on the race for the first seed in the Pacific as Vancouver is two points behind Detroit with a game in hand.
Chicago is now comfortably in sixth place with 73 points. That designation would almost certainly set up a match with the Pacific Division winner, which at this time would be San Jose. (I’d say that would be an 11 out of 10 on the scale of first round playoff matchups.)
One game can only tell so much, but it’s starting to seem more and more obvious that the Red Wings have more incentive than any other top team to take the top seed.
Check out the highlights of tonight’s game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 1
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 5
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 7
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 37
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8