Feb 21, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ home winning streak remains intact at 23, but they might want to find a way to get things together when they’re not at Joe Louis Arena.
The Chicago Blackhawks extended their own winning streak to four games tonight with a tight 2-1 win over Detroit, pushing their division rivals’ road record to a surprising 15-16-1. Corey Crawford‘s four-game winning streak matches his teams and he’s playing like the guy who the franchise finally decided to settle on last off-season.
This loss ends the Red Wings’ more general winning streak of six games, but it might be valuable for the purposes of Jimmy Howard shaking off his rust while not putting the home run in jeopardy.
They play their next two games at home, including Thursday’s game against the Vancouver Canucks – the contest that the largest amount of PHT readers believe will end it all. That Vancouver game could have a serious impact on the race for the first seed in the Pacific as Vancouver is two points behind Detroit with a game in hand.
Chicago is now comfortably in sixth place with 73 points. That designation would almost certainly set up a match with the Pacific Division winner, which at this time would be San Jose. (I’d say that would be an 11 out of 10 on the scale of first round playoff matchups.)
One game can only tell so much, but it’s starting to seem more and more obvious that the Red Wings have more incentive than any other top team to take the top seed.
Check out the highlights of tonight’s game:
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 21
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 31
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 23
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 25
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2