Feb 21, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ home winning streak remains intact at 23, but they might want to find a way to get things together when they’re not at Joe Louis Arena.
The Chicago Blackhawks extended their own winning streak to four games tonight with a tight 2-1 win over Detroit, pushing their division rivals’ road record to a surprising 15-16-1. Corey Crawford‘s four-game winning streak matches his teams and he’s playing like the guy who the franchise finally decided to settle on last off-season.
This loss ends the Red Wings’ more general winning streak of six games, but it might be valuable for the purposes of Jimmy Howard shaking off his rust while not putting the home run in jeopardy.
They play their next two games at home, including Thursday’s game against the Vancouver Canucks – the contest that the largest amount of PHT readers believe will end it all. That Vancouver game could have a serious impact on the race for the first seed in the Pacific as Vancouver is two points behind Detroit with a game in hand.
Chicago is now comfortably in sixth place with 73 points. That designation would almost certainly set up a match with the Pacific Division winner, which at this time would be San Jose. (I’d say that would be an 11 out of 10 on the scale of first round playoff matchups.)
One game can only tell so much, but it’s starting to seem more and more obvious that the Red Wings have more incentive than any other top team to take the top seed.
Check out the highlights of tonight’s game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)