Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun knows a thing or two about being behind in the race for the playoffs.
During his time in Florida, the Panthers came close to making the postseason in 2009, finishing tied with Montreal in points but didn’t have enough wins to take eighth. Falling behind and trying to catch up hurt the Panthers and he doesn’t want to see the same thing happen with the Caps this season.
Vokoun tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com one of the most logical things you’ll read as the race to the playoffs kicks into high gear.
“We have to look at the standings and realize we can’t fall farther and farther back because it’s impossible to catch teams.”
As of today, the Caps are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, one point behind both Toronto and Winnipeg. The Caps are also just two points back of Florida in the Southeast Division. Everyone in the Southeast has had their issues in taking hold of their destiny and getting far enough ahead of the pack to virtually secure a playoff spot.
Making up a point or two wouldn’t seem like a tough thing to do, but with wins being hard enough to get from the entire division, they might not have to worry about falling that far back either.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (108)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)