Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun knows a thing or two about being behind in the race for the playoffs.
During his time in Florida, the Panthers came close to making the postseason in 2009, finishing tied with Montreal in points but didn’t have enough wins to take eighth. Falling behind and trying to catch up hurt the Panthers and he doesn’t want to see the same thing happen with the Caps this season.
Vokoun tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com one of the most logical things you’ll read as the race to the playoffs kicks into high gear.
“We have to look at the standings and realize we can’t fall farther and farther back because it’s impossible to catch teams.”
As of today, the Caps are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, one point behind both Toronto and Winnipeg. The Caps are also just two points back of Florida in the Southeast Division. Everyone in the Southeast has had their issues in taking hold of their destiny and getting far enough ahead of the pack to virtually secure a playoff spot.
Making up a point or two wouldn’t seem like a tough thing to do, but with wins being hard enough to get from the entire division, they might not have to worry about falling that far back either.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)