Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun knows a thing or two about being behind in the race for the playoffs.
During his time in Florida, the Panthers came close to making the postseason in 2009, finishing tied with Montreal in points but didn’t have enough wins to take eighth. Falling behind and trying to catch up hurt the Panthers and he doesn’t want to see the same thing happen with the Caps this season.
Vokoun tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com one of the most logical things you’ll read as the race to the playoffs kicks into high gear.
“We have to look at the standings and realize we can’t fall farther and farther back because it’s impossible to catch teams.”
As of today, the Caps are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, one point behind both Toronto and Winnipeg. The Caps are also just two points back of Florida in the Southeast Division. Everyone in the Southeast has had their issues in taking hold of their destiny and getting far enough ahead of the pack to virtually secure a playoff spot.
Making up a point or two wouldn’t seem like a tough thing to do, but with wins being hard enough to get from the entire division, they might not have to worry about falling that far back either.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 7
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)