Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun knows a thing or two about being behind in the race for the playoffs.
During his time in Florida, the Panthers came close to making the postseason in 2009, finishing tied with Montreal in points but didn’t have enough wins to take eighth. Falling behind and trying to catch up hurt the Panthers and he doesn’t want to see the same thing happen with the Caps this season.
Vokoun tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com one of the most logical things you’ll read as the race to the playoffs kicks into high gear.
“We have to look at the standings and realize we can’t fall farther and farther back because it’s impossible to catch teams.”
As of today, the Caps are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, one point behind both Toronto and Winnipeg. The Caps are also just two points back of Florida in the Southeast Division. Everyone in the Southeast has had their issues in taking hold of their destiny and getting far enough ahead of the pack to virtually secure a playoff spot.
Making up a point or two wouldn’t seem like a tough thing to do, but with wins being hard enough to get from the entire division, they might not have to worry about falling that far back either.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)