Feb 20, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The Islanders dropped a heart-breaker this afternoon, losing 6-0 to the Ottawa Senators in front of 15,818 delighted ticket-buyers at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
This one was over early. Erik Karlsson opened the scoring at 1:08 of the first period and Jason Spezza made it 2-0 just 27 seconds later. Out went Isles goalie Kevin Poulin, in went Al Montoya, boo went the fans.
While New York remains six points back of eighth-place Toronto in the Eastern Conference, the Sens gave themselves some breathing, moving six points ahead of the Leafs.
Ottawa has now won its last three games by a combined score of 16-2, a surprising stretch of domination after losing seven of eight.
PS — The Isles need to burn those third jerseys.
Here are the video highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)