Feb 20, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The Islanders dropped a heart-breaker this afternoon, losing 6-0 to the Ottawa Senators in front of 15,818 delighted ticket-buyers at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
This one was over early. Erik Karlsson opened the scoring at 1:08 of the first period and Jason Spezza made it 2-0 just 27 seconds later. Out went Isles goalie Kevin Poulin, in went Al Montoya, boo went the fans.
While New York remains six points back of eighth-place Toronto in the Eastern Conference, the Sens gave themselves some breathing, moving six points ahead of the Leafs.
Ottawa has now won its last three games by a combined score of 16-2, a surprising stretch of domination after losing seven of eight.
PS — The Isles need to burn those third jerseys.
Here are the video highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)