Feb 20, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
According to the Boston Globe, Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro — a 2008 draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings — has been arrested for allegedly raping a female student on campus.
Nicastro, 21, was taken into custody Sunday and booked with a rape charge. He was held on $25,000 cash bail pending his arraignment and has been suspended from the hockey team indefinitely.
This is the second sexual assault allegation to hit the Terriers men’s hockey team in 10 weeks. Previously, BU’s leading scorer — Corey Trivino, a second-round pick of the Islanders in 2008 — was arrested in December on numerous charges after he allegedly broke into a woman’s room at night. Trivino pleaded not guilty to the charges, but was thrown off the team.
The Globe reports that aside from Boston police assisting in booking and jailing Nicastro, few other details of the case are known. Boston University Dean of students Ken Elmore spoke briefly about the situation.
“First and foremost, we want to be sure to take care of the person who is the alleged victim here,’’ Elmore said. “We want to make sure she is OK and also make sure we investigate the case as swiftly, as fairly, and as thoroughly as we can.’’
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18