Feb 20, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
According to the Boston Globe, Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro — a 2008 draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings — has been arrested for allegedly raping a female student on campus.
Nicastro, 21, was taken into custody Sunday and booked with a rape charge. He was held on $25,000 cash bail pending his arraignment and has been suspended from the hockey team indefinitely.
This is the second sexual assault allegation to hit the Terriers men’s hockey team in 10 weeks. Previously, BU’s leading scorer — Corey Trivino, a second-round pick of the Islanders in 2008 — was arrested in December on numerous charges after he allegedly broke into a woman’s room at night. Trivino pleaded not guilty to the charges, but was thrown off the team.
The Globe reports that aside from Boston police assisting in booking and jailing Nicastro, few other details of the case are known. Boston University Dean of students Ken Elmore spoke briefly about the situation.
“First and foremost, we want to be sure to take care of the person who is the alleged victim here,’’ Elmore said. “We want to make sure she is OK and also make sure we investigate the case as swiftly, as fairly, and as thoroughly as we can.’’
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 18
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 14
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 39
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)