Feb 20, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
According to the Boston Globe, Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro — a 2008 draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings — has been arrested for allegedly raping a female student on campus.
Nicastro, 21, was taken into custody Sunday and booked with a rape charge. He was held on $25,000 cash bail pending his arraignment and has been suspended from the hockey team indefinitely.
This is the second sexual assault allegation to hit the Terriers men’s hockey team in 10 weeks. Previously, BU’s leading scorer — Corey Trivino, a second-round pick of the Islanders in 2008 — was arrested in December on numerous charges after he allegedly broke into a woman’s room at night. Trivino pleaded not guilty to the charges, but was thrown off the team.
The Globe reports that aside from Boston police assisting in booking and jailing Nicastro, few other details of the case are known. Boston University Dean of students Ken Elmore spoke briefly about the situation.
“First and foremost, we want to be sure to take care of the person who is the alleged victim here,’’ Elmore said. “We want to make sure she is OK and also make sure we investigate the case as swiftly, as fairly, and as thoroughly as we can.’’
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)