Feb 20, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
According to the Boston Globe, Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro — a 2008 draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings — has been arrested for allegedly raping a female student on campus.
Nicastro, 21, was taken into custody Sunday and booked with a rape charge. He was held on $25,000 cash bail pending his arraignment and has been suspended from the hockey team indefinitely.
This is the second sexual assault allegation to hit the Terriers men’s hockey team in 10 weeks. Previously, BU’s leading scorer — Corey Trivino, a second-round pick of the Islanders in 2008 — was arrested in December on numerous charges after he allegedly broke into a woman’s room at night. Trivino pleaded not guilty to the charges, but was thrown off the team.
The Globe reports that aside from Boston police assisting in booking and jailing Nicastro, few other details of the case are known. Boston University Dean of students Ken Elmore spoke briefly about the situation.
“First and foremost, we want to be sure to take care of the person who is the alleged victim here,’’ Elmore said. “We want to make sure she is OK and also make sure we investigate the case as swiftly, as fairly, and as thoroughly as we can.’’
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)