Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM EST
Pavel Kubina hasn’t suited up for the Philadelphia Flyers yet, but he’s already being compared to a famous former Flyers defenseman with a legacy for helping a power play.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that acquiring Kubina gives them a right-handed shooting defenseman with a penchant for scoring goals the likes of which they haven’t had since Eric Desjardins.
“[Kubina] is something we don’t have. He’s a right-handed shot. He’s a big body who can help out on our power play and penalty killing. He’s an all-situational defenseman. An experienced guy who has won a Stanley Cup.
“Over the last three days here, we’ve added a couple bigger bodies who can help us in our own end in different areas of the game.”
Kubina has 55 career power play goals and he’s a big body that joins Nicklas Grossman as the new guys on the block in Philly. Adding 500 pounds of defense to a unit that’s been sorely hurting since Chris Pronger‘s season ended is a good way to try and shore things up for Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
With Grossman providing the defense and Kubina giving the Flyers a little extra offense, perhaps things can get turned around all over the ice.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)