Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Pavel Kubina hasn’t suited up for the Philadelphia Flyers yet, but he’s already being compared to a famous former Flyers defenseman with a legacy for helping a power play.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that acquiring Kubina gives them a right-handed shooting defenseman with a penchant for scoring goals the likes of which they haven’t had since Eric Desjardins.
“[Kubina] is something we don’t have. He’s a right-handed shot. He’s a big body who can help out on our power play and penalty killing. He’s an all-situational defenseman. An experienced guy who has won a Stanley Cup.
“Over the last three days here, we’ve added a couple bigger bodies who can help us in our own end in different areas of the game.”
Kubina has 55 career power play goals and he’s a big body that joins Nicklas Grossman as the new guys on the block in Philly. Adding 500 pounds of defense to a unit that’s been sorely hurting since Chris Pronger‘s season ended is a good way to try and shore things up for Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
With Grossman providing the defense and Kubina giving the Flyers a little extra offense, perhaps things can get turned around all over the ice.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 11
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 90
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL