Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Pavel Kubina hasn’t suited up for the Philadelphia Flyers yet, but he’s already being compared to a famous former Flyers defenseman with a legacy for helping a power play.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that acquiring Kubina gives them a right-handed shooting defenseman with a penchant for scoring goals the likes of which they haven’t had since Eric Desjardins.
“[Kubina] is something we don’t have. He’s a right-handed shot. He’s a big body who can help out on our power play and penalty killing. He’s an all-situational defenseman. An experienced guy who has won a Stanley Cup.
“Over the last three days here, we’ve added a couple bigger bodies who can help us in our own end in different areas of the game.”
Kubina has 55 career power play goals and he’s a big body that joins Nicklas Grossman as the new guys on the block in Philly. Adding 500 pounds of defense to a unit that’s been sorely hurting since Chris Pronger‘s season ended is a good way to try and shore things up for Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
With Grossman providing the defense and Kubina giving the Flyers a little extra offense, perhaps things can get turned around all over the ice.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)