Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Pavel Kubina hasn’t suited up for the Philadelphia Flyers yet, but he’s already being compared to a famous former Flyers defenseman with a legacy for helping a power play.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that acquiring Kubina gives them a right-handed shooting defenseman with a penchant for scoring goals the likes of which they haven’t had since Eric Desjardins.
“[Kubina] is something we don’t have. He’s a right-handed shot. He’s a big body who can help out on our power play and penalty killing. He’s an all-situational defenseman. An experienced guy who has won a Stanley Cup.
“Over the last three days here, we’ve added a couple bigger bodies who can help us in our own end in different areas of the game.”
Kubina has 55 career power play goals and he’s a big body that joins Nicklas Grossman as the new guys on the block in Philly. Adding 500 pounds of defense to a unit that’s been sorely hurting since Chris Pronger‘s season ended is a good way to try and shore things up for Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
With Grossman providing the defense and Kubina giving the Flyers a little extra offense, perhaps things can get turned around all over the ice.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)