Feb 20, 2012, 8:16 PM EST
The Florida Panthers’ biggest name (and highest-paid) defenseman Brian Campbell is still in the mix, but some difficult injuries on the blueline have affected the team on the scoreboard.
The Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov discusses how much the team’s offense has “sputtered” without hard-shooting Jason Garrison (who leads the league’s D-men in goal scoring with 13) and smooth-passing Dmitry Kulikov. Panthers coach Kevin Dineen hopes that Florida can add some diversity to its offensive mix in light of these issues.
“You can’t be a one-trick pony, get offense from one source; it can’t be one style,” Dineen said. “You have to have a little diversity to your game. There’s numbers of ways we’re exploring [in practice].”
The Panthers remain first overall in the Southeast Division and the Carolina Hurricanes might maintain that lead as they’re up 2-0 against the Washington Capitals. Despite the fact that it doesn’t really seem like anyone is stepping up in the Southeast, Florida is going to have to get its act together – without some of its best catalysts.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)