Feb 20, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made six of the last seven postseasons and won their first-ever playoff round with a team built around defense and goaltending.
Today, the team rewarded the chief architects.
The Predators have announced that David Poile — the only GM in franchise history — and assistant Paul Fenton have been extended through the 2014-15 season.
“Today’s announcement is further recognition by the Predators’ ownership group of the outstanding job David has done as President of Hockey Operations since the franchise’s inception,” Nashville chairman Tom Cigarran said. “The consistent success of the Predators on the ice is directly attributed to his ability to assemble and lead a team of management, coaches, scouts and administrators who continually identify, draft, develop and motive an exceptional group of experienced and young players.
“The ownership group believes that under his leadership, the Nashville Predators will soon achieve its goal of winning the Stanley Cup.”
The extensions follow in a series of bold, statement-making moves from the Preds. They already handed out the biggest contract in franchise history (Pekka Rinne‘s seven-year, $49 million deal) and bucked up big for Montreal’s Hal Gill, prompting ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun to write the following:
Extending Poile says “this is our guy, we believe in the direction he’s taking us,” while retaining Fenton is about keeping quality people within the organization. Fenton is considered one of hockey’s top assistant GMs and is from the Poile managerial tree — the same place where current Pens GM Ray Shero came from.
“Paul’s vast experience in the game, from playing at the NHL level to scouting and evaluation, combine to make him an integral and invaluable member of our organization,” Poile said. “We’re thrilled that he will continue to play a key role in our hockey operations.”
On that note, check out this glowing Fenton profile from Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)