Feb 20, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made six of the last seven postseasons and won their first-ever playoff round with a team built around defense and goaltending.
Today, the team rewarded the chief architects.
The Predators have announced that David Poile — the only GM in franchise history — and assistant Paul Fenton have been extended through the 2014-15 season.
“Today’s announcement is further recognition by the Predators’ ownership group of the outstanding job David has done as President of Hockey Operations since the franchise’s inception,” Nashville chairman Tom Cigarran said. “The consistent success of the Predators on the ice is directly attributed to his ability to assemble and lead a team of management, coaches, scouts and administrators who continually identify, draft, develop and motive an exceptional group of experienced and young players.
“The ownership group believes that under his leadership, the Nashville Predators will soon achieve its goal of winning the Stanley Cup.”
The extensions follow in a series of bold, statement-making moves from the Preds. They already handed out the biggest contract in franchise history (Pekka Rinne‘s seven-year, $49 million deal) and bucked up big for Montreal’s Hal Gill, prompting ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun to write the following:
Extending Poile says “this is our guy, we believe in the direction he’s taking us,” while retaining Fenton is about keeping quality people within the organization. Fenton is considered one of hockey’s top assistant GMs and is from the Poile managerial tree — the same place where current Pens GM Ray Shero came from.
“Paul’s vast experience in the game, from playing at the NHL level to scouting and evaluation, combine to make him an integral and invaluable member of our organization,” Poile said. “We’re thrilled that he will continue to play a key role in our hockey operations.”
On that note, check out this glowing Fenton profile from Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 43
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1