Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Derek Roy had arguably his best game of the season Sunday in Buffalo’s 6-2 win over the Penguins. The diminutive center scored twice, added an assist, and was named first star.
But one good game won’t be enough to stop the trade rumors. With just a year remaining on his contract ($4 million cap hit) and the Sabres needing to make changes, the Buffalo News reports that Roy “could be down to his final days” with the team that drafted him in 2001.
One team that’s been thrown around as a possible destination is Chicago. The Blackhawks acquired Brendan Morrison from Calgary a few weeks ago as a potential second-line center, but that move hasn’t paid dividends yet. In fact, Morrison’s been a healthy scratch the last four games.
According to the Buffalo News, the Sabres haven’t said anything to Roy about possibly being moved.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
Roy doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to capgeek.com.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)