Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Derek Roy had arguably his best game of the season Sunday in Buffalo’s 6-2 win over the Penguins. The diminutive center scored twice, added an assist, and was named first star.
But one good game won’t be enough to stop the trade rumors. With just a year remaining on his contract ($4 million cap hit) and the Sabres needing to make changes, the Buffalo News reports that Roy “could be down to his final days” with the team that drafted him in 2001.
One team that’s been thrown around as a possible destination is Chicago. The Blackhawks acquired Brendan Morrison from Calgary a few weeks ago as a potential second-line center, but that move hasn’t paid dividends yet. In fact, Morrison’s been a healthy scratch the last four games.
According to the Buffalo News, the Sabres haven’t said anything to Roy about possibly being moved.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
Roy doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to capgeek.com.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)