Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Derek Roy had arguably his best game of the season Sunday in Buffalo’s 6-2 win over the Penguins. The diminutive center scored twice, added an assist, and was named first star.
But one good game won’t be enough to stop the trade rumors. With just a year remaining on his contract ($4 million cap hit) and the Sabres needing to make changes, the Buffalo News reports that Roy “could be down to his final days” with the team that drafted him in 2001.
One team that’s been thrown around as a possible destination is Chicago. The Blackhawks acquired Brendan Morrison from Calgary a few weeks ago as a potential second-line center, but that move hasn’t paid dividends yet. In fact, Morrison’s been a healthy scratch the last four games.
According to the Buffalo News, the Sabres haven’t said anything to Roy about possibly being moved.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
Roy doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to capgeek.com.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness