Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
Derek Roy had arguably his best game of the season Sunday in Buffalo’s 6-2 win over the Penguins. The diminutive center scored twice, added an assist, and was named first star.
But one good game won’t be enough to stop the trade rumors. With just a year remaining on his contract ($4 million cap hit) and the Sabres needing to make changes, the Buffalo News reports that Roy “could be down to his final days” with the team that drafted him in 2001.
One team that’s been thrown around as a possible destination is Chicago. The Blackhawks acquired Brendan Morrison from Calgary a few weeks ago as a potential second-line center, but that move hasn’t paid dividends yet. In fact, Morrison’s been a healthy scratch the last four games.
According to the Buffalo News, the Sabres haven’t said anything to Roy about possibly being moved.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
Roy doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to capgeek.com.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)