Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Derek Roy had arguably his best game of the season Sunday in Buffalo’s 6-2 win over the Penguins. The diminutive center scored twice, added an assist, and was named first star.
But one good game won’t be enough to stop the trade rumors. With just a year remaining on his contract ($4 million cap hit) and the Sabres needing to make changes, the Buffalo News reports that Roy “could be down to his final days” with the team that drafted him in 2001.
One team that’s been thrown around as a possible destination is Chicago. The Blackhawks acquired Brendan Morrison from Calgary a few weeks ago as a potential second-line center, but that move hasn’t paid dividends yet. In fact, Morrison’s been a healthy scratch the last four games.
According to the Buffalo News, the Sabres haven’t said anything to Roy about possibly being moved.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
Roy doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to capgeek.com.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)