Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Hey, remember this?
Actually, considering that was 20 years ago, you might not. But that’s what playoff hockey used to look like in Winnipeg.
And yes, those are the coats the Hockey Night in Canada crew used to wear.
We only mention this because the Jets are making a run at the postseason. They’ve won three in a row, and combined with the struggles of Washington, Florida and Toronto, have moved into a tie for eighth in the Eastern Conference.
“We’re right on the bubble here of making the playoffs,” said forward Blake Wheeler, the NHL’s second star of the week. “And not only for this being a first-year thing for this city but for this organization to be right in the mix with 20 games left is a huge stepping stone.
“I’ve had experience with these playoff runs and having to battle to the very end to make the playoffs and I’m telling you, if you end up getting into the tournament, anything can happen.”
The Jets are also just one point back of first in the Southeast Division, meaning it’s entirely possible they could snag the third seed in the East with home-ice advantage in the first round.
Speaking of home ice, Winnipeg plays its next six games at the MTS Centre, where it’s 18-9-2 in front of arguably the most raucous crowd in the league.
The Jets host the Flyers tomorrow.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 23
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 38
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 64
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)