Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Hey, remember this?
Actually, considering that was 20 years ago, you might not. But that’s what playoff hockey used to look like in Winnipeg.
And yes, those are the coats the Hockey Night in Canada crew used to wear.
We only mention this because the Jets are making a run at the postseason. They’ve won three in a row, and combined with the struggles of Washington, Florida and Toronto, have moved into a tie for eighth in the Eastern Conference.
“We’re right on the bubble here of making the playoffs,” said forward Blake Wheeler, the NHL’s second star of the week. “And not only for this being a first-year thing for this city but for this organization to be right in the mix with 20 games left is a huge stepping stone.
“I’ve had experience with these playoff runs and having to battle to the very end to make the playoffs and I’m telling you, if you end up getting into the tournament, anything can happen.”
The Jets are also just one point back of first in the Southeast Division, meaning it’s entirely possible they could snag the third seed in the East with home-ice advantage in the first round.
Speaking of home ice, Winnipeg plays its next six games at the MTS Centre, where it’s 18-9-2 in front of arguably the most raucous crowd in the league.
The Jets host the Flyers tomorrow.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)