Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Hey, remember this?
Actually, considering that was 20 years ago, you might not. But that’s what playoff hockey used to look like in Winnipeg.
And yes, those are the coats the Hockey Night in Canada crew used to wear.
We only mention this because the Jets are making a run at the postseason. They’ve won three in a row, and combined with the struggles of Washington, Florida and Toronto, have moved into a tie for eighth in the Eastern Conference.
“We’re right on the bubble here of making the playoffs,” said forward Blake Wheeler, the NHL’s second star of the week. “And not only for this being a first-year thing for this city but for this organization to be right in the mix with 20 games left is a huge stepping stone.
“I’ve had experience with these playoff runs and having to battle to the very end to make the playoffs and I’m telling you, if you end up getting into the tournament, anything can happen.”
The Jets are also just one point back of first in the Southeast Division, meaning it’s entirely possible they could snag the third seed in the East with home-ice advantage in the first round.
Speaking of home ice, Winnipeg plays its next six games at the MTS Centre, where it’s 18-9-2 in front of arguably the most raucous crowd in the league.
The Jets host the Flyers tomorrow.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 14
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 19
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (131)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)