Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Hey, remember this?
Actually, considering that was 20 years ago, you might not. But that’s what playoff hockey used to look like in Winnipeg.
And yes, those are the coats the Hockey Night in Canada crew used to wear.
We only mention this because the Jets are making a run at the postseason. They’ve won three in a row, and combined with the struggles of Washington, Florida and Toronto, have moved into a tie for eighth in the Eastern Conference.
“We’re right on the bubble here of making the playoffs,” said forward Blake Wheeler, the NHL’s second star of the week. “And not only for this being a first-year thing for this city but for this organization to be right in the mix with 20 games left is a huge stepping stone.
“I’ve had experience with these playoff runs and having to battle to the very end to make the playoffs and I’m telling you, if you end up getting into the tournament, anything can happen.”
The Jets are also just one point back of first in the Southeast Division, meaning it’s entirely possible they could snag the third seed in the East with home-ice advantage in the first round.
Speaking of home ice, Winnipeg plays its next six games at the MTS Centre, where it’s 18-9-2 in front of arguably the most raucous crowd in the league.
The Jets host the Flyers tomorrow.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)