Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Hey, remember this?
Actually, considering that was 20 years ago, you might not. But that’s what playoff hockey used to look like in Winnipeg.
And yes, those are the coats the Hockey Night in Canada crew used to wear.
We only mention this because the Jets are making a run at the postseason. They’ve won three in a row, and combined with the struggles of Washington, Florida and Toronto, have moved into a tie for eighth in the Eastern Conference.
“We’re right on the bubble here of making the playoffs,” said forward Blake Wheeler, the NHL’s second star of the week. “And not only for this being a first-year thing for this city but for this organization to be right in the mix with 20 games left is a huge stepping stone.
“I’ve had experience with these playoff runs and having to battle to the very end to make the playoffs and I’m telling you, if you end up getting into the tournament, anything can happen.”
The Jets are also just one point back of first in the Southeast Division, meaning it’s entirely possible they could snag the third seed in the East with home-ice advantage in the first round.
Speaking of home ice, Winnipeg plays its next six games at the MTS Centre, where it’s 18-9-2 in front of arguably the most raucous crowd in the league.
The Jets host the Flyers tomorrow.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)