Feb 20, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
To some, disappointments like tonight’s 5-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes are just par for the course for the Washington Capitals these days.
Whether you consider it surprising or not, it was a missed opportunity for the Caps. With more regulation and/or overtime wins to their credit, the Capitals had a chance to take the Southeast Division lead but were instead embarrassed.
As much as the headlines will focus upon how much Tomas Vokoun, Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green and other Capitals struggled, Carolina deserves some credit too. Kirk Muller has that team playing like a playoff team in the last 12 games as they went 7-2-3 in their last 12 games.
There might be some rumblings of a dream playoff run for Carolina, but logic says that the team will play the role of spoilers. It’s looking like they’ll be a dangerous threat in that regard, then.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)