Feb 20, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
To some, disappointments like tonight’s 5-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes are just par for the course for the Washington Capitals these days.
Whether you consider it surprising or not, it was a missed opportunity for the Caps. With more regulation and/or overtime wins to their credit, the Capitals had a chance to take the Southeast Division lead but were instead embarrassed.
As much as the headlines will focus upon how much Tomas Vokoun, Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green and other Capitals struggled, Carolina deserves some credit too. Kirk Muller has that team playing like a playoff team in the last 12 games as they went 7-2-3 in their last 12 games.
There might be some rumblings of a dream playoff run for Carolina, but logic says that the team will play the role of spoilers. It’s looking like they’ll be a dangerous threat in that regard, then.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6