Feb 20, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
To some, disappointments like tonight’s 5-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes are just par for the course for the Washington Capitals these days.
Whether you consider it surprising or not, it was a missed opportunity for the Caps. With more regulation and/or overtime wins to their credit, the Capitals had a chance to take the Southeast Division lead but were instead embarrassed.
As much as the headlines will focus upon how much Tomas Vokoun, Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green and other Capitals struggled, Carolina deserves some credit too. Kirk Muller has that team playing like a playoff team in the last 12 games as they went 7-2-3 in their last 12 games.
There might be some rumblings of a dream playoff run for Carolina, but logic says that the team will play the role of spoilers. It’s looking like they’ll be a dangerous threat in that regard, then.
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 10
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 34
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2