Feb 20, 2012, 5:57 PM EST
The first mention occurred on Hockey Night in Canada’s “Hotstove” segment:
“Peter Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the most recent Facebook posting and he didn’t say ‘You can’t do it,’ but he did say to him ‘You can’t expect that if you’re going to make statements on your Facebook page — political statements — that people aren’t going to ask you about them.’
You haven’t seen anything since that conversation, I don’t know if it will continue, the Bruins don’t think they have to say stop, but they have told him if you’re gonna do it, you’re gonna have to expect the media queries.”
Technically, Thomas hasn’t posted anything definitively political since Feb. 8…but I stress the word “technically.” He posted a Ronald Reagan quote about minimal government authority on Feb. 10, a Calvin Coolidge quote about sport in Feb. 13 and, most recently, a quote from Henry Morgenthau, Jr. entitled “We’re repeating history”.
So it’s not like he’s laid off the rhetoric entirely.
Friedman then brought up the Chiarelli/Thomas summit again in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the Conn Smythe winner’s most recent political Facebook posting. He didn’t say to stop, but did explain that you can’t expect the media not to ask about it. Thomas is adamant he shouldn’t have to discuss his personal beliefs, but it’s not that simple.
Just a quick timeline here — on May 26, 2006, Chiarelli became Boston’s GM.
On Sept 26, 2006, Facebook expanded membership to the public (well, everyone of age 13 or older with a valid email address.)
My point: Upon taking the gig, I doubt Chiarelli imagined he’d one day have discussions with players about ramifications of their politically-charged wall postings.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)