Feb 20, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
The first mention occurred on Hockey Night in Canada’s “Hotstove” segment:
“Peter Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the most recent Facebook posting and he didn’t say ‘You can’t do it,’ but he did say to him ‘You can’t expect that if you’re going to make statements on your Facebook page — political statements — that people aren’t going to ask you about them.’
You haven’t seen anything since that conversation, I don’t know if it will continue, the Bruins don’t think they have to say stop, but they have told him if you’re gonna do it, you’re gonna have to expect the media queries.”
Technically, Thomas hasn’t posted anything definitively political since Feb. 8…but I stress the word “technically.” He posted a Ronald Reagan quote about minimal government authority on Feb. 10, a Calvin Coolidge quote about sport in Feb. 13 and, most recently, a quote from Henry Morgenthau, Jr. entitled “We’re repeating history”.
So it’s not like he’s laid off the rhetoric entirely.
Friedman then brought up the Chiarelli/Thomas summit again in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the Conn Smythe winner’s most recent political Facebook posting. He didn’t say to stop, but did explain that you can’t expect the media not to ask about it. Thomas is adamant he shouldn’t have to discuss his personal beliefs, but it’s not that simple.
Just a quick timeline here — on May 26, 2006, Chiarelli became Boston’s GM.
On Sept 26, 2006, Facebook expanded membership to the public (well, everyone of age 13 or older with a valid email address.)
My point: Upon taking the gig, I doubt Chiarelli imagined he’d one day have discussions with players about ramifications of their politically-charged wall postings.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 7
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 16
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 57
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22