Feb 20, 2012, 5:57 PM EST
The first mention occurred on Hockey Night in Canada’s “Hotstove” segment:
“Peter Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the most recent Facebook posting and he didn’t say ‘You can’t do it,’ but he did say to him ‘You can’t expect that if you’re going to make statements on your Facebook page — political statements — that people aren’t going to ask you about them.’
You haven’t seen anything since that conversation, I don’t know if it will continue, the Bruins don’t think they have to say stop, but they have told him if you’re gonna do it, you’re gonna have to expect the media queries.”
Technically, Thomas hasn’t posted anything definitively political since Feb. 8…but I stress the word “technically.” He posted a Ronald Reagan quote about minimal government authority on Feb. 10, a Calvin Coolidge quote about sport in Feb. 13 and, most recently, a quote from Henry Morgenthau, Jr. entitled “We’re repeating history”.
So it’s not like he’s laid off the rhetoric entirely.
Friedman then brought up the Chiarelli/Thomas summit again in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
Chiarelli met with Tim Thomas after the Conn Smythe winner’s most recent political Facebook posting. He didn’t say to stop, but did explain that you can’t expect the media not to ask about it. Thomas is adamant he shouldn’t have to discuss his personal beliefs, but it’s not that simple.
Just a quick timeline here — on May 26, 2006, Chiarelli became Boston’s GM.
On Sept 26, 2006, Facebook expanded membership to the public (well, everyone of age 13 or older with a valid email address.)
My point: Upon taking the gig, I doubt Chiarelli imagined he’d one day have discussions with players about ramifications of their politically-charged wall postings.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)