Feb 20, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night for a doubleheader as Boston University takes on Vermont and North Dakota faces off with Denver.
Boston College coach Jerry York has been at it for a long time in the college ranks and proved that by earning his 900th career victory on Friday night as the Eagles took down Merrimack 4-2. As the guys at BC Interruption shared, York’s legacy at Boston College is an impressive one.
Since becoming BC’s coach in 1994, York has led the team to 12 NCAA tournament berths, nine of those trips turned into Frozen Four appearances and winning the national championship three times. Throw in eight conference titles and you’ve got the kind of record that gets statues built for you on campus.
In a career that saw him start at Clarkson in the late 70s before moving on to Bowling Green where he helped the Falcons to the national title in 1984, York is forever one of the most respected coaches in all of hockey.
Elsewhere in college hockey:
It’s not all good news in Boston as Boston University junior defenseman, and Detroit Red Wings prospect, Max Nicastro was arrested for alleged sexual assault on Sunday. He’s been suspended indefinitely from the team. It’s BU’s second ugly incident this season involving its players. (Daily Free Press)
BU’s weekend on the ice was hot and cold as they demolished UMass-Lowell on Friday only to lose to them on Saturday. (USCHO)
There’s going to be an outdoor game in Nebraska featuring Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota. Maybe we can get a “Field of Dreams” feel to it with all the corn fields in Nebraska. (OMavs.com)
With two weeks left until the conference tournaments start, you might want to start ignoring the voters polls and start really paying attention to the Pairwise rankings to see if your school is going to make the NCAA tournament. It’s the system the selection uses to pick out who goes to the big dance. Save the tinfoil and smokey rooms for the NCAA basketball tournament. (College Hockey News)
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)