Feb 19, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
On Saturday, the Philadelphia Flyers were headlining the Rick Nash rumor mill. Just one day later, the speculation has centered around Toronto. According to Sportsnet, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson met with Leafs GM Brian Burke Sunday morning in New York, and the question is if Nash’s name came up.
Unlike the Nash-to-Philadelphia rumors, which didn’t really make a ton of sense on any level, the concept of Nash heading to Toronto at least has some weight to it. For one thing Toronto is in a somewhat better position to absorb Rick Nash’s massive $7,800,000 annual cap hit. Toronto is also a team that would benefit from another scoring winger, although that isn’t their biggest need.
Still, the main question is if the Leafs want Nash enough to make it worth meeting Howson’s demands. As previously reported, Howson is believed to be seeking an impact player, two prospects, and a first round draft pick. In Toronto’s case, Sportsnet believes that a combination of Nikolai Kulemin, Luke Schenn, Nazem Kadri, and maybe James Reimer would need to be in the trade. With that in mind, pulling the trigger on a Nash deal might not be in Toronto’s best interests.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)