Feb 19, 2012, 8:12 PM EST
Does Evgeni Nabokov enjoy playing for the New York Islanders or is he simply fulfilling his contractual duties because the Islanders snatched him from the team he signed with, the Detroit Red Wings? We might find out the answer to that question soon enough.
According to Arthur Staple of Newsday, the Islanders and Nabokov’s agent, Don Meehan, will probably engage in contract talks in the near future. It’s possible that the Islanders are simply gauging his level of interest in an extension and getting a feel for what it would cost them before deciding if they should explore other options. However, it’s worth noting that Islanders GM Garth Snow has publicly stated that he doesn’t plan on trading Nabokov.
Al Montoya’s contract is also set to expire at the end of the season and they shouldn’t be expected to sign both of them – even though they might very well need three NHL-ready goaltenders under contract if Rick DiPietro is one of them.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)