Feb 19, 2012, 3:24 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks are actually one of the few teams that have managed to beat the Detroit Red Wings at home this season, having done so on Oct. 28. However, they could not repeat that feat on Sunday as the Red Wings earned their 23rd consecutive victory at home.
This time, Drew Miller was the unlikely hero, scoring the game-winning goal and registering an assist for the Red Wings.
Joey MacDonald stayed hot, turning aside 31 of 33 Sharks shots while preserving his personal six-game winning streak. MacDonald has also allowed just two or fewer goals in each of his last three starts.
Logan Couture netted his 25th goal of the season at 14:33 of the second period to make it a 2-1 game. Joe Thornton also registered his 40th assist on the goal, which makes this the 10th consecutive season that he has reached that milestone.
Darren Helm netted what would prove to be the game-winning goal midway through the third period. San Jose’s Patrick Marleau made it interesting by scoring his 23rd goal of the season with just 4:44 remaining in regulation, it ultimately proved to be too little, too late.
For Detroit, Sunday’s victory concluded their six-game homestand, but their matchup in Chicago on Tuesday should be a heated contest. They’ll then return home for a game against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday as the two squads fight for the first seed in the Western Conference.
The San Jose Sharks have now lost three straight games and are in serious jeopardy of losing their paper thin grip on the Pacific Division lead. They’ll try to rebound on Tuesday against the last place Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)