Feb 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
As reported by Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Chris Pronger’s wife, Lauren, said that Pronger is no longer himself “and it’s not in a good way.” Chris hasn’t played since Nov. 19 because of a concussion and he’s not expected to return this season.
“Right now, we’re just hoping for his health to come back,” Lauren said. “That is our priority.” Lauren thinks Pronger should be talking to Keith Primeau, who has spent the last six years struggling with post-concussion syndrome.
“That has been brought up a lot lately,” she said. “There are a lot of parallels between the two [men]. I think Chris is starting to realize now that he should be in communication with him.”
The thought of dealing with post-concussion syndrome for anything close to that long has to be a scary prospect, and based on what Lauren said, it has weighed on Chris.
“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris,” Lauren said. “He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him. This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have tried to adapt to life without Pronger by trading for Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. Maybe they will succeed or maybe they won’t; only time will tell. Either way, Pronger has unfortunately become one the latest example of just how devastating a concussion can be.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)