Feb 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
As reported by Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Chris Pronger’s wife, Lauren, said that Pronger is no longer himself “and it’s not in a good way.” Chris hasn’t played since Nov. 19 because of a concussion and he’s not expected to return this season.
“Right now, we’re just hoping for his health to come back,” Lauren said. “That is our priority.” Lauren thinks Pronger should be talking to Keith Primeau, who has spent the last six years struggling with post-concussion syndrome.
“That has been brought up a lot lately,” she said. “There are a lot of parallels between the two [men]. I think Chris is starting to realize now that he should be in communication with him.”
The thought of dealing with post-concussion syndrome for anything close to that long has to be a scary prospect, and based on what Lauren said, it has weighed on Chris.
“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris,” Lauren said. “He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him. This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have tried to adapt to life without Pronger by trading for Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. Maybe they will succeed or maybe they won’t; only time will tell. Either way, Pronger has unfortunately become one the latest example of just how devastating a concussion can be.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 6
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 7
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot