Feb 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
As reported by Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Chris Pronger’s wife, Lauren, said that Pronger is no longer himself “and it’s not in a good way.” Chris hasn’t played since Nov. 19 because of a concussion and he’s not expected to return this season.
“Right now, we’re just hoping for his health to come back,” Lauren said. “That is our priority.” Lauren thinks Pronger should be talking to Keith Primeau, who has spent the last six years struggling with post-concussion syndrome.
“That has been brought up a lot lately,” she said. “There are a lot of parallels between the two [men]. I think Chris is starting to realize now that he should be in communication with him.”
The thought of dealing with post-concussion syndrome for anything close to that long has to be a scary prospect, and based on what Lauren said, it has weighed on Chris.
“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris,” Lauren said. “He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him. This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have tried to adapt to life without Pronger by trading for Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. Maybe they will succeed or maybe they won’t; only time will tell. Either way, Pronger has unfortunately become one the latest example of just how devastating a concussion can be.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)