Feb 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
As reported by Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Chris Pronger’s wife, Lauren, said that Pronger is no longer himself “and it’s not in a good way.” Chris hasn’t played since Nov. 19 because of a concussion and he’s not expected to return this season.
“Right now, we’re just hoping for his health to come back,” Lauren said. “That is our priority.” Lauren thinks Pronger should be talking to Keith Primeau, who has spent the last six years struggling with post-concussion syndrome.
“That has been brought up a lot lately,” she said. “There are a lot of parallels between the two [men]. I think Chris is starting to realize now that he should be in communication with him.”
The thought of dealing with post-concussion syndrome for anything close to that long has to be a scary prospect, and based on what Lauren said, it has weighed on Chris.
“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris,” Lauren said. “He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him. This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have tried to adapt to life without Pronger by trading for Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. Maybe they will succeed or maybe they won’t; only time will tell. Either way, Pronger has unfortunately become one the latest example of just how devastating a concussion can be.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)