Feb 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
As reported by Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Chris Pronger’s wife, Lauren, said that Pronger is no longer himself “and it’s not in a good way.” Chris hasn’t played since Nov. 19 because of a concussion and he’s not expected to return this season.
“Right now, we’re just hoping for his health to come back,” Lauren said. “That is our priority.” Lauren thinks Pronger should be talking to Keith Primeau, who has spent the last six years struggling with post-concussion syndrome.
“That has been brought up a lot lately,” she said. “There are a lot of parallels between the two [men]. I think Chris is starting to realize now that he should be in communication with him.”
The thought of dealing with post-concussion syndrome for anything close to that long has to be a scary prospect, and based on what Lauren said, it has weighed on Chris.
“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris,” Lauren said. “He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him. This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have tried to adapt to life without Pronger by trading for Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. Maybe they will succeed or maybe they won’t; only time will tell. Either way, Pronger has unfortunately become one the latest example of just how devastating a concussion can be.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 35
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (35)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)