Feb 19, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
After earning his sixth shutout of the season on Saturday, Brian Elliott was solid, but not flawless in Sunday’s matchup against the Chicago Blackhawks. Unfortunately, that wasn’t good enough for the Blues this time around.
St. Louis led for most of the game on the strength of an Andy McDonald goal. McDonald is now on a three-game goal scoring streak and has four points in five contest since returning from a concussion that sidelined him for roughly four months. However, Chicago’s Duncan Keith fired back in the third period and then Dave Bolland gave Chicago a 2-1 lead with just 6:57 remaining in regulation time. Marian Hossa chipped in an empty netter as Chicago went onto win 3-1.
This is a big victory for the Blackhawks as they try to repair the damage done by their monstrous nine-game losing streak. Chicago has now won three straight games, but this is their first victory against a division rival other than the last place Columbus Blue Jackets since Dec. 30, when they beat the Detroit Red Wings. Chicago will have a chance to record another win against Detroit on Tuesday and fortunately, given Detroit’s success at home, the Blackhawks will host the match.
For St. Louis, this loss hurts their bid to dethrone the Red Wings as the Central Division leader. They have been limited to just a goal four times this month and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they have lost three of those matchups. However, they may have a tough time scoring goals against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday and Nashville Predators on Thursday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)