Feb 19, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
After earning his sixth shutout of the season on Saturday, Brian Elliott was solid, but not flawless in Sunday’s matchup against the Chicago Blackhawks. Unfortunately, that wasn’t good enough for the Blues this time around.
St. Louis led for most of the game on the strength of an Andy McDonald goal. McDonald is now on a three-game goal scoring streak and has four points in five contest since returning from a concussion that sidelined him for roughly four months. However, Chicago’s Duncan Keith fired back in the third period and then Dave Bolland gave Chicago a 2-1 lead with just 6:57 remaining in regulation time. Marian Hossa chipped in an empty netter as Chicago went onto win 3-1.
This is a big victory for the Blackhawks as they try to repair the damage done by their monstrous nine-game losing streak. Chicago has now won three straight games, but this is their first victory against a division rival other than the last place Columbus Blue Jackets since Dec. 30, when they beat the Detroit Red Wings. Chicago will have a chance to record another win against Detroit on Tuesday and fortunately, given Detroit’s success at home, the Blackhawks will host the match.
For St. Louis, this loss hurts their bid to dethrone the Red Wings as the Central Division leader. They have been limited to just a goal four times this month and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they have lost three of those matchups. However, they may have a tough time scoring goals against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday and Nashville Predators on Thursday.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)