Feb 18, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
It hasn’t been a good season for Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason. Seeing Mason get lit up by the Blackhawks this afternoon for four goals against was enough for Jackets interim coach Todd Richards to pull him from the game. That decision didn’t seem to sit too well with Mason, however, as he had a few angry words to spout off with back on the bench.
The cameras of CSN Chicago captured an angry Mason seemingly barking at Richards while Allen York took over for him in the second period.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that Mason said he was yelling at a Blackhawks fan behind the bench who was taunting him. Considering the game was in Columbus that’s doubly insulting.
Maybe Mason is defusing the situation or he had really bad aim with where he was yelling, but it sure looked like he was focusing his frustrations at someone on the Columbus bench. Either way, seeing Mason vent his frustrations sums up his season rather succinctly. The Blue Jackets ultimately lost to Chicago 6-1.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)