Feb 18, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Lately he’s been a healthy scratch for the Kings and coach Darryl Sutter made it clear the reason why Penner has been taking in games from the press box rather than the bench. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond gets the straight poop from Sutter about how Penner’s return to action today might be his last chance.
“It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
You can imagine what the actual word used was by Sutter if you’re creative enough. Penner’s effort has always been an issue for him as he went through similar fits of inactivity with Edmonton that frustrated the Oilers.
Penner’s been a good sport about the ripping he’s received in L.A. but let’s just hope there isn’t a charity tie-in with this latest turn of events. Scoring goals will help make the insults go away and make sure that foul odor of failure stays out of Los Angeles.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54