Feb 18, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
Lately he’s been a healthy scratch for the Kings and coach Darryl Sutter made it clear the reason why Penner has been taking in games from the press box rather than the bench. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond gets the straight poop from Sutter about how Penner’s return to action today might be his last chance.
“It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
You can imagine what the actual word used was by Sutter if you’re creative enough. Penner’s effort has always been an issue for him as he went through similar fits of inactivity with Edmonton that frustrated the Oilers.
Penner’s been a good sport about the ripping he’s received in L.A. but let’s just hope there isn’t a charity tie-in with this latest turn of events. Scoring goals will help make the insults go away and make sure that foul odor of failure stays out of Los Angeles.
- Clarkson to have hearing for Sobotka headshot 0
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)