Feb 18, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Lately he’s been a healthy scratch for the Kings and coach Darryl Sutter made it clear the reason why Penner has been taking in games from the press box rather than the bench. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond gets the straight poop from Sutter about how Penner’s return to action today might be his last chance.
“It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
You can imagine what the actual word used was by Sutter if you’re creative enough. Penner’s effort has always been an issue for him as he went through similar fits of inactivity with Edmonton that frustrated the Oilers.
Penner’s been a good sport about the ripping he’s received in L.A. but let’s just hope there isn’t a charity tie-in with this latest turn of events. Scoring goals will help make the insults go away and make sure that foul odor of failure stays out of Los Angeles.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)