Feb 18, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Lately he’s been a healthy scratch for the Kings and coach Darryl Sutter made it clear the reason why Penner has been taking in games from the press box rather than the bench. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond gets the straight poop from Sutter about how Penner’s return to action today might be his last chance.
“It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
You can imagine what the actual word used was by Sutter if you’re creative enough. Penner’s effort has always been an issue for him as he went through similar fits of inactivity with Edmonton that frustrated the Oilers.
Penner’s been a good sport about the ripping he’s received in L.A. but let’s just hope there isn’t a charity tie-in with this latest turn of events. Scoring goals will help make the insults go away and make sure that foul odor of failure stays out of Los Angeles.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34