Feb 18, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Lately he’s been a healthy scratch for the Kings and coach Darryl Sutter made it clear the reason why Penner has been taking in games from the press box rather than the bench. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond gets the straight poop from Sutter about how Penner’s return to action today might be his last chance.
“It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
You can imagine what the actual word used was by Sutter if you’re creative enough. Penner’s effort has always been an issue for him as he went through similar fits of inactivity with Edmonton that frustrated the Oilers.
Penner’s been a good sport about the ripping he’s received in L.A. but let’s just hope there isn’t a charity tie-in with this latest turn of events. Scoring goals will help make the insults go away and make sure that foul odor of failure stays out of Los Angeles.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)