Feb 18, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are picking up steam at just the right time, but the same certainly can’t be said for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Henrik Sedin had four assists while his brother, Daniel Sedin, scored his 25th goal and registered three assists in Vancouver’s 6-2 slaughtering of the Leafs.
Henrik also became the first player to reach the 50 assist mark in 2011-12, which is a feat that was only accomplished by nine guys last season, including both of the twins. However, Henrik is still eight points behind Evgeni Malkin in the Art Ross Trophy race, which was won by Henrik in 2009-10 and Daniel last season.
The Canucks are now 9-0-2 in their last 11 games and they are poised to coast to the Northwest Division title. Short of a monumental collapse, the only real question now for the Canucks is if they can manage to earn the first seed or if they’ll have to settle for second place in the Western Conference.
It’s a much different story in Toronto. The Leafs have now lost five of their last six contests and are clinging onto the eighth seed. The Leafs haven’t made the playoffs in the salary cap era and only the Florida Panthers, who are currently leading the Southeast Division, were in the midst of a longer postseason drought going into the 2011-12 campaign.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)