Feb 18, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are picking up steam at just the right time, but the same certainly can’t be said for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Henrik Sedin had four assists while his brother, Daniel Sedin, scored his 25th goal and registered three assists in Vancouver’s 6-2 slaughtering of the Leafs.
Henrik also became the first player to reach the 50 assist mark in 2011-12, which is a feat that was only accomplished by nine guys last season, including both of the twins. However, Henrik is still eight points behind Evgeni Malkin in the Art Ross Trophy race, which was won by Henrik in 2009-10 and Daniel last season.
The Canucks are now 9-0-2 in their last 11 games and they are poised to coast to the Northwest Division title. Short of a monumental collapse, the only real question now for the Canucks is if they can manage to earn the first seed or if they’ll have to settle for second place in the Western Conference.
It’s a much different story in Toronto. The Leafs have now lost five of their last six contests and are clinging onto the eighth seed. The Leafs haven’t made the playoffs in the salary cap era and only the Florida Panthers, who are currently leading the Southeast Division, were in the midst of a longer postseason drought going into the 2011-12 campaign.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)