Feb 18, 2012, 9:14 PM EDT
According to CBC’s The Hot Stove, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is seeking two prospects, a player that can make an immediate impact, and a first round draft pick for Rick Nash. That’s a steep price, but it’s worth noting that Columbus isn’t just looking to trade their best player, they’re talking about parting ways with the face of the franchise. This is a team that some casual hockey fans might only be able to identify as the one that Nash plays for. If they trade Nash, what they get back in the deal could have a significant impact on the long-term success of their franchise.
That being said, asking prices tend to be higher than what’s actually agreed upon. Howson might be willing to settle for less, especially if the market for Nash isn’t as big as he might have hoped. Then again, Howson might be comfortable with holding onto Nash until at least the summer even if he is reportedly unhappy. We’ll know one way or the other soon enough.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28