Feb 18, 2012, 9:14 PM EDT
According to CBC’s The Hot Stove, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is seeking two prospects, a player that can make an immediate impact, and a first round draft pick for Rick Nash. That’s a steep price, but it’s worth noting that Columbus isn’t just looking to trade their best player, they’re talking about parting ways with the face of the franchise. This is a team that some casual hockey fans might only be able to identify as the one that Nash plays for. If they trade Nash, what they get back in the deal could have a significant impact on the long-term success of their franchise.
That being said, asking prices tend to be higher than what’s actually agreed upon. Howson might be willing to settle for less, especially if the market for Nash isn’t as big as he might have hoped. Then again, Howson might be comfortable with holding onto Nash until at least the summer even if he is reportedly unhappy. We’ll know one way or the other soon enough.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5