Feb 18, 2012, 9:14 PM EST
According to CBC’s The Hot Stove, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is seeking two prospects, a player that can make an immediate impact, and a first round draft pick for Rick Nash. That’s a steep price, but it’s worth noting that Columbus isn’t just looking to trade their best player, they’re talking about parting ways with the face of the franchise. This is a team that some casual hockey fans might only be able to identify as the one that Nash plays for. If they trade Nash, what they get back in the deal could have a significant impact on the long-term success of their franchise.
That being said, asking prices tend to be higher than what’s actually agreed upon. Howson might be willing to settle for less, especially if the market for Nash isn’t as big as he might have hoped. Then again, Howson might be comfortable with holding onto Nash until at least the summer even if he is reportedly unhappy. We’ll know one way or the other soon enough.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35