Feb 18, 2012, 9:14 PM EDT
According to CBC’s The Hot Stove, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is seeking two prospects, a player that can make an immediate impact, and a first round draft pick for Rick Nash. That’s a steep price, but it’s worth noting that Columbus isn’t just looking to trade their best player, they’re talking about parting ways with the face of the franchise. This is a team that some casual hockey fans might only be able to identify as the one that Nash plays for. If they trade Nash, what they get back in the deal could have a significant impact on the long-term success of their franchise.
That being said, asking prices tend to be higher than what’s actually agreed upon. Howson might be willing to settle for less, especially if the market for Nash isn’t as big as he might have hoped. Then again, Howson might be comfortable with holding onto Nash until at least the summer even if he is reportedly unhappy. We’ll know one way or the other soon enough.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 28
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25