Feb 18, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
You can’t have a big time player in trade rumors and not have the Flyers involved in talks one way or another.
According to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio, sources tell him that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson are discussing the possibility of sending Rick Nash to the Flyers. Of course the main issue here for the Flyers if they want to land Nash comes in what they’d have to give up to get him. Panaccio says the price might not be worth Philly’s trouble.
As for the asking price for a player of Nash’s caliber? Probably Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn.
But … it may be something else. It may be James van Riemsdyk, another player, plus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Or a high draft pick besides a player.
The Flyers don’t want to move Couturier or Schenn, but if I’m Howson, I want both those players.
Yikes. A package of van Riemsdyk, Bobrovsky, and Couturier or Schenn would be a whopper. Toss in a first-round pick as well and you’ve got a deal that looks great on paper for Columbus. The chances of Philly giving up that much young talent to make it happen while not strengthening their defensive unit seems slim.
As Panaccio stresses, it’s all rumors right now but with Howson and Blue Jackets senior adviser Craig Patrick both scouting the Flyers personally, that provides enough fuel to keep the rumors burning.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 20
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 2
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 13
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 53
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)