Feb 18, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
You can’t have a big time player in trade rumors and not have the Flyers involved in talks one way or another.
According to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio, sources tell him that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson are discussing the possibility of sending Rick Nash to the Flyers. Of course the main issue here for the Flyers if they want to land Nash comes in what they’d have to give up to get him. Panaccio says the price might not be worth Philly’s trouble.
As for the asking price for a player of Nash’s caliber? Probably Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn.
But … it may be something else. It may be James van Riemsdyk, another player, plus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Or a high draft pick besides a player.
The Flyers don’t want to move Couturier or Schenn, but if I’m Howson, I want both those players.
Yikes. A package of van Riemsdyk, Bobrovsky, and Couturier or Schenn would be a whopper. Toss in a first-round pick as well and you’ve got a deal that looks great on paper for Columbus. The chances of Philly giving up that much young talent to make it happen while not strengthening their defensive unit seems slim.
As Panaccio stresses, it’s all rumors right now but with Howson and Blue Jackets senior adviser Craig Patrick both scouting the Flyers personally, that provides enough fuel to keep the rumors burning.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5