Feb 18, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
You can’t have a big time player in trade rumors and not have the Flyers involved in talks one way or another.
According to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio, sources tell him that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson are discussing the possibility of sending Rick Nash to the Flyers. Of course the main issue here for the Flyers if they want to land Nash comes in what they’d have to give up to get him. Panaccio says the price might not be worth Philly’s trouble.
As for the asking price for a player of Nash’s caliber? Probably Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn.
But … it may be something else. It may be James van Riemsdyk, another player, plus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Or a high draft pick besides a player.
The Flyers don’t want to move Couturier or Schenn, but if I’m Howson, I want both those players.
Yikes. A package of van Riemsdyk, Bobrovsky, and Couturier or Schenn would be a whopper. Toss in a first-round pick as well and you’ve got a deal that looks great on paper for Columbus. The chances of Philly giving up that much young talent to make it happen while not strengthening their defensive unit seems slim.
As Panaccio stresses, it’s all rumors right now but with Howson and Blue Jackets senior adviser Craig Patrick both scouting the Flyers personally, that provides enough fuel to keep the rumors burning.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 1
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 78
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1