Feb 18, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Minnesota just can’t catch a break lately.
The Wild will be facing off against the Blues in St. Louis today without the services of captain Mikko Koivu. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Koivu is not on the trip with the team and the Wild’s official Twitter account reports that he’s day-to-day with an undisclosed ailment.
Koivu has had other injury problems this season and the Wild have struggled with and without him in the lineup. Their offensive struggles are obvious as Koivu and Dany Heatley are their two biggest threats while guys like Devin Setoguchi, Matt Cullen, and Kyle Brodziak are their next best performers and they all have less than 30 points.
The Wild have lost six in a row heading into this weekend and it doesn’t get any easier facing the Blues today and the Bruins tomorrow as part of Hockey Day in America on NBC. If they’re without Koivu for long, their drop in the standings is going to speed up.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7