Feb 18, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Minnesota just can’t catch a break lately.
The Wild will be facing off against the Blues in St. Louis today without the services of captain Mikko Koivu. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Koivu is not on the trip with the team and the Wild’s official Twitter account reports that he’s day-to-day with an undisclosed ailment.
Koivu has had other injury problems this season and the Wild have struggled with and without him in the lineup. Their offensive struggles are obvious as Koivu and Dany Heatley are their two biggest threats while guys like Devin Setoguchi, Matt Cullen, and Kyle Brodziak are their next best performers and they all have less than 30 points.
The Wild have lost six in a row heading into this weekend and it doesn’t get any easier facing the Blues today and the Bruins tomorrow as part of Hockey Day in America on NBC. If they’re without Koivu for long, their drop in the standings is going to speed up.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)