Feb 18, 2012, 11:03 PM EST
As previously reported, the Philadelphia Flyers have acquired Pavel Kubina from the Tampa Bay Lightning. However, now that the deal is official, we have access to all the details surrounding the trade. First off, while it was initially reported that the Flyers were surrendering a second and a fifth rounder for the blueliner, they ended up trading the Panthers’ 2012 or 2013 second round draft pick, a 2013 fourth round pick, and minor leaguer Jon Kalinski.
In the case of Kalinski, his inclusion in the deal was likely necessitated by the fact that Philadelphia already had 50 players under contract, which is the maximum allowed. Kalinski will turn 26 in May and has only played in 22 NHL games, so his inclusion isn’t a major factor.
In total the Flyers have given up four picks – including two second rounders – and Kalinski to get Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. That’s a significant price for a pair of rental blueliners and, if nothing else, it highlights the Flyers commitment to competing for the Stanley Cup this season.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)