Feb 18, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
As previously reported, the Philadelphia Flyers have acquired Pavel Kubina from the Tampa Bay Lightning. However, now that the deal is official, we have access to all the details surrounding the trade. First off, while it was initially reported that the Flyers were surrendering a second and a fifth rounder for the blueliner, they ended up trading the Panthers’ 2012 or 2013 second round draft pick, a 2013 fourth round pick, and minor leaguer Jon Kalinski.
In the case of Kalinski, his inclusion in the deal was likely necessitated by the fact that Philadelphia already had 50 players under contract, which is the maximum allowed. Kalinski will turn 26 in May and has only played in 22 NHL games, so his inclusion isn’t a major factor.
In total the Flyers have given up four picks – including two second rounders – and Kalinski to get Kubina and Nicklas Grossman. That’s a significant price for a pair of rental blueliners and, if nothing else, it highlights the Flyers commitment to competing for the Stanley Cup this season.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)