Feb 18, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
San Jose defenseman Douglas Murray won’t have a chance to suit up for Hockey Day in America against the Red Wings thanks to taking a puck in the throat.
The new from CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz is that Murray will be out of action thanks to a broken Adam’s apple.
Murray was hit in the throat by a puck Thursday night against Tampa Bay and was taken to the hospital for observation. If you need to take a second to wince and let that settle into your mind, go ahead, we understand.
The Sharks will look to keep their run of great play against Detroit going without their biggest and most physical defensive presence. On the upside, San Jose may be getting Jason Demers back after suffering a lower body injury on January 24. Demers gives them a bit more experience on the blue line with Murray out, but it’s not an ideal situation for the Sharks going up against a Red Wings team that hasn’t lost at home since November 3.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 12
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18