Feb 18, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
San Jose defenseman Douglas Murray won’t have a chance to suit up for Hockey Day in America against the Red Wings thanks to taking a puck in the throat.
The new from CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz is that Murray will be out of action thanks to a broken Adam’s apple.
Murray was hit in the throat by a puck Thursday night against Tampa Bay and was taken to the hospital for observation. If you need to take a second to wince and let that settle into your mind, go ahead, we understand.
The Sharks will look to keep their run of great play against Detroit going without their biggest and most physical defensive presence. On the upside, San Jose may be getting Jason Demers back after suffering a lower body injury on January 24. Demers gives them a bit more experience on the blue line with Murray out, but it’s not an ideal situation for the Sharks going up against a Red Wings team that hasn’t lost at home since November 3.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)