Feb 18, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
San Jose defenseman Douglas Murray won’t have a chance to suit up for Hockey Day in America against the Red Wings thanks to taking a puck in the throat.
The new from CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz is that Murray will be out of action thanks to a broken Adam’s apple.
Murray was hit in the throat by a puck Thursday night against Tampa Bay and was taken to the hospital for observation. If you need to take a second to wince and let that settle into your mind, go ahead, we understand.
The Sharks will look to keep their run of great play against Detroit going without their biggest and most physical defensive presence. On the upside, San Jose may be getting Jason Demers back after suffering a lower body injury on January 24. Demers gives them a bit more experience on the blue line with Murray out, but it’s not an ideal situation for the Sharks going up against a Red Wings team that hasn’t lost at home since November 3.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)