Feb 18, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
San Jose defenseman Douglas Murray won’t have a chance to suit up for Hockey Day in America against the Red Wings thanks to taking a puck in the throat.
The new from CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz is that Murray will be out of action thanks to a broken Adam’s apple.
Murray was hit in the throat by a puck Thursday night against Tampa Bay and was taken to the hospital for observation. If you need to take a second to wince and let that settle into your mind, go ahead, we understand.
The Sharks will look to keep their run of great play against Detroit going without their biggest and most physical defensive presence. On the upside, San Jose may be getting Jason Demers back after suffering a lower body injury on January 24. Demers gives them a bit more experience on the blue line with Murray out, but it’s not an ideal situation for the Sharks going up against a Red Wings team that hasn’t lost at home since November 3.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)