Feb 18, 2012, 1:13 AM EDT
One can imagine the conversation going like this:
Bloodied Boulton: “What?!!! Why did you stop the fi-“
Official: “Eric, I can see your skull.”
At least that’s how I envision the conversation going. (I’m a wishful thinker.)
Rich Chere did some intrepid journalism to find out how it really shook out/burst my bubble.
“I wasn’t hurt or anything but they said they had to get in there,” Boulton said. “I wanted to keep going. I wasn’t hurt. I didn’t feel the blood until they started coming in and then I felt it trickle down my face.
“Linesmen are doing their job trying to protect the players. It was the heat of the moment and I was a little ticked off. I didn’t get a chance to get back at him. They’re just doing their job.”
And Boulton was trying to do his, which often means absorbing punches – and occasionally giving us a laugh.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)