Feb 17, 2012, 1:46 PM EST
Wysh wrote a post today for Puck Daddy that listed all the teams in the Rick Nash derby and why they don’t need the Columbus captain. And the post made a ton of sense. Acquiring a big contract like Nash’s is fraught with risk. You might give up too much in return. You might negatively alter team chemistry. You might get a player that’s already reached his best-before date.
Of course, on the other hand…IT’S RICK NASH.
Yeah, he’s got a big contract. But he’s got a big contract for a reason – he’s really quite a good hockey player.
Hockey fans have officially turned into scaredy cats when adding a player like Nash is deemed too risky because of the salary cap. This isn’t Scott Gomez we’re talking about. Gomez had one 30-goal season before Glen Sather broke the bank. Nash has had six, and twice he’s scored 40 or more.
John Buccigross gets it:
Now take the Canucks. (For the sake of argument, let’s forget Nash has reportedly left them off his approved team list.) Do you really think the Sedins would be furious about getting to play with one of the premier snipers in the NHL because they left money on the table to stay in Vancouver? They’ve already got lots of money. What they don’t have is a Stanley Cup. Brian Campbell was overpaid in Chicago but the Blackhawks still seemed pretty happy when they won the Cup.
And so what if Nash is overpaid by a couple of million a season – if I’m Mike Gillis, I’d rather overpay a 30-goal-scorer by a couple of million than give Keith Ballard $4.2 million a season to play 15 minutes a night on the third pairing mixed in with the occasional healthy scratch.
Seriously, am I taking crazy pills here?
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 44
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9