Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Jamie Benn wouldn’t have any.
Dallas’ All-Star forward will reportedly miss the next two games after suffering a leg laceration, according to head coach Glen Gulutzan. The injury occurred during the second period of Thursday’s 3-2 overtime win against Calgary when Mark Giordano‘s skate sliced Benn’s thigh — a cut that took 13 stitches to close.
“He’s got a cut on his leg. He got hit by a skate. He’s got stitches in his leg and he’s going to be day-to-day,” Gulutzan told ESPN Dallas. “It’s a pretty decent size cut, so he is going to be day-to-day.”
This is Benn’s second “freakish” ailment in less than a month — back in late January, the 22-year-old underwent an emergency appendectomy that cost him five games, leading to this anecdote from teammate Steve Ott:
“Me and him had a hot tub at about 10 o’clock in the morning that morning, and I looked at him and told him he looked like garbage and a few other choice words. And he just looked at me and said, ‘I’m not feeling very well.’
“But we were having a hot tub and probably contemplating a little hockey from the night before and the guys said about two hours later that he left the arena and wanted to go to the hospital to have himself checked out because he wasn’t feeling well.
“He had a CAT scan and found out that he had to have surgery on his appendix.”
Benn leads all Stars in scoring this year with 49 points and is has a team-best plus-13 rating.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)