Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Jamie Benn wouldn’t have any.
Dallas’ All-Star forward will reportedly miss the next two games after suffering a leg laceration, according to head coach Glen Gulutzan. The injury occurred during the second period of Thursday’s 3-2 overtime win against Calgary when Mark Giordano‘s skate sliced Benn’s thigh — a cut that took 13 stitches to close.
“He’s got a cut on his leg. He got hit by a skate. He’s got stitches in his leg and he’s going to be day-to-day,” Gulutzan told ESPN Dallas. “It’s a pretty decent size cut, so he is going to be day-to-day.”
This is Benn’s second “freakish” ailment in less than a month — back in late January, the 22-year-old underwent an emergency appendectomy that cost him five games, leading to this anecdote from teammate Steve Ott:
“Me and him had a hot tub at about 10 o’clock in the morning that morning, and I looked at him and told him he looked like garbage and a few other choice words. And he just looked at me and said, ‘I’m not feeling very well.’
“But we were having a hot tub and probably contemplating a little hockey from the night before and the guys said about two hours later that he left the arena and wanted to go to the hospital to have himself checked out because he wasn’t feeling well.
“He had a CAT scan and found out that he had to have surgery on his appendix.”
Benn leads all Stars in scoring this year with 49 points and is has a team-best plus-13 rating.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)