Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Jamie Benn wouldn’t have any.
Dallas’ All-Star forward will reportedly miss the next two games after suffering a leg laceration, according to head coach Glen Gulutzan. The injury occurred during the second period of Thursday’s 3-2 overtime win against Calgary when Mark Giordano‘s skate sliced Benn’s thigh — a cut that took 13 stitches to close.
“He’s got a cut on his leg. He got hit by a skate. He’s got stitches in his leg and he’s going to be day-to-day,” Gulutzan told ESPN Dallas. “It’s a pretty decent size cut, so he is going to be day-to-day.”
This is Benn’s second “freakish” ailment in less than a month — back in late January, the 22-year-old underwent an emergency appendectomy that cost him five games, leading to this anecdote from teammate Steve Ott:
“Me and him had a hot tub at about 10 o’clock in the morning that morning, and I looked at him and told him he looked like garbage and a few other choice words. And he just looked at me and said, ‘I’m not feeling very well.’
“But we were having a hot tub and probably contemplating a little hockey from the night before and the guys said about two hours later that he left the arena and wanted to go to the hospital to have himself checked out because he wasn’t feeling well.
“He had a CAT scan and found out that he had to have surgery on his appendix.”
Benn leads all Stars in scoring this year with 49 points and is has a team-best plus-13 rating.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)