Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Jamie Benn wouldn’t have any.
Dallas’ All-Star forward will reportedly miss the next two games after suffering a leg laceration, according to head coach Glen Gulutzan. The injury occurred during the second period of Thursday’s 3-2 overtime win against Calgary when Mark Giordano‘s skate sliced Benn’s thigh — a cut that took 13 stitches to close.
“He’s got a cut on his leg. He got hit by a skate. He’s got stitches in his leg and he’s going to be day-to-day,” Gulutzan told ESPN Dallas. “It’s a pretty decent size cut, so he is going to be day-to-day.”
This is Benn’s second “freakish” ailment in less than a month — back in late January, the 22-year-old underwent an emergency appendectomy that cost him five games, leading to this anecdote from teammate Steve Ott:
“Me and him had a hot tub at about 10 o’clock in the morning that morning, and I looked at him and told him he looked like garbage and a few other choice words. And he just looked at me and said, ‘I’m not feeling very well.’
“But we were having a hot tub and probably contemplating a little hockey from the night before and the guys said about two hours later that he left the arena and wanted to go to the hospital to have himself checked out because he wasn’t feeling well.
“He had a CAT scan and found out that he had to have surgery on his appendix.”
Benn leads all Stars in scoring this year with 49 points and is has a team-best plus-13 rating.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)