Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Jamie Benn wouldn’t have any.
Dallas’ All-Star forward will reportedly miss the next two games after suffering a leg laceration, according to head coach Glen Gulutzan. The injury occurred during the second period of Thursday’s 3-2 overtime win against Calgary when Mark Giordano‘s skate sliced Benn’s thigh — a cut that took 13 stitches to close.
“He’s got a cut on his leg. He got hit by a skate. He’s got stitches in his leg and he’s going to be day-to-day,” Gulutzan told ESPN Dallas. “It’s a pretty decent size cut, so he is going to be day-to-day.”
This is Benn’s second “freakish” ailment in less than a month — back in late January, the 22-year-old underwent an emergency appendectomy that cost him five games, leading to this anecdote from teammate Steve Ott:
“Me and him had a hot tub at about 10 o’clock in the morning that morning, and I looked at him and told him he looked like garbage and a few other choice words. And he just looked at me and said, ‘I’m not feeling very well.’
“But we were having a hot tub and probably contemplating a little hockey from the night before and the guys said about two hours later that he left the arena and wanted to go to the hospital to have himself checked out because he wasn’t feeling well.
“He had a CAT scan and found out that he had to have surgery on his appendix.”
Benn leads all Stars in scoring this year with 49 points and is has a team-best plus-13 rating.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 58
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)