Feb 17, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
If you ordered me to put together a list of this season’s most underrated goalies, San Jose Sharks netminder Antti Niemi would be way up there.
Still, every goalie has a rough night here and there. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz shares Sharks coach Todd McLellan’s rather blunt criticisms of Niemi and the defense – especially Niemi – after a 6-5 shootout loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
“That as poor as we’ve played around our net,” McLellan said. “Our net play was just atrocious, starting with the goaltender, and then the defensemen and the forwards. It was very, very poor. I’m really disappointed in our group. We’re much better than that, and have got to fix it.”
“He wasn’t any good. I protect him a lot and talk about the team. He has to be better. Flat out, has to be better.”
Not exactly beating around the bush, eh?
Overall, Niemi’s record (23-13-6), individual numbers (.914 save percentage, 2.42 GAA and four shutouts) and workload (43 games played) likely matches the team’s expectations.
He’s been slipping a bit lately, though, with a 1-3-1 record in his last five games and a 3-5-1 mark in nine.
Responding to a challenge
Of course, he also has two shutouts in that span, which reinforces my assumption that Niemi might be the NHL’s most dynamically hot-and-cold goalie. (At least in a league full of seemingly uniform netminders.)
With that in mind, the Sharks need to try to push the right buttons with the one-time Stanley Cup winner. He’s done well in pressure situations, but his coach’s criticisms place a different kind of heat on the 28-year-old.
Do you think he’ll respond well?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)