Feb 17, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT
Nashville general manager David Poile thinks the Predators’ acquisition of defenseman Hal Gill from Montreal could spur his NHL counterparts into action.
“I can tell you, as a manager, that it does work like dominoes,” Poile said. “So there are probably more things in the works now than there was 24 hours ago. Whether that leads to any more completed deals, I don’t know that. But it certainly acts as a catalyst to try to move things along.”
Today’s trade that saw Gill swapped for Blake Geoffrion and Robert Slaney was the biggest of the pre-deadline period and took a coveted rental player off the market.
The Feb. 27 deadline is still 10 days away, but if you’re one of the numerous GMs seeking a veteran depth defenseman for the playoffs, your options are dwindling. The Ducks locked up Francois Beauchemin a month ago. The Hurricanes re-signed Tim Gleason. Ditto for the Oilers with Andy Sutton. Nicklas Grossman went to the Flyers yesterday.
So, who’s left in the rental defenseman category?
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)