Feb 17, 2012, 5:58 PM EST
Nashville general manager David Poile thinks the Predators’ acquisition of defenseman Hal Gill from Montreal could spur his NHL counterparts into action.
“I can tell you, as a manager, that it does work like dominoes,” Poile said. “So there are probably more things in the works now than there was 24 hours ago. Whether that leads to any more completed deals, I don’t know that. But it certainly acts as a catalyst to try to move things along.”
Today’s trade that saw Gill swapped for Blake Geoffrion and Robert Slaney was the biggest of the pre-deadline period and took a coveted rental player off the market.
The Feb. 27 deadline is still 10 days away, but if you’re one of the numerous GMs seeking a veteran depth defenseman for the playoffs, your options are dwindling. The Ducks locked up Francois Beauchemin a month ago. The Hurricanes re-signed Tim Gleason. Ditto for the Oilers with Andy Sutton. Nicklas Grossman went to the Flyers yesterday.
So, who’s left in the rental defenseman category?
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)