Feb 17, 2012, 10:17 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings added win No. 22 to their all-time record home streak in about as dramatic a fashion one can ask for.
It looked like the Nashville Predators were going to force the game into overtime at 1-1 but Pavel Datsyuk had other plans. Nicklas Lidstrom sent a no-look pass to Henrik Zetterberg – who was doubtful to even play tonight – who then found Datsyuk with a lethal amount of room to score a beautiful winner with just five seconds left.
Datsyuk already generated an unusual point on Friday as he was credited with a second assist after he lost his edge and fell to the ice but managed to get the puck to Todd Bertuzzi, who helped Johan Franzen score the 1-0 goal. Nashville’s Nick Spaling seemed to collect the game-tying goal deep into the second period, but that was not to be.
A Fox Sports commentator described the scene in an interesting way: “It wasn’t a playoff game, but it was a playoff game’s cousin.”
Joey MacDonald allowed one goal on 21 shots for the second consecutive contest to win his fifth game in a row (and improve his 2011-12 record to 5-1-1). He’s been an interesting subplot to this run, as one cannot help but wonder if Ty Conklin will be the odd man out once Jimmy Howard returns to action.
That thought is probably pretty far from the minds of most Red Wings right now, though. The bottom line is that the historic streak is at 22 wins and familiar foe San Jose stands in the way of No. 23 on Sunday.
* Or tied the 1929-30 Boston Bruins’ unofficial mark, if you ask Mike Milbury.
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)