Feb 17, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
The clock may be ticking on the Phoenix Coyotes’ time in the desert, but according to The Arizona Republic, there’s “a growing hope that the Coyotes could land a new owner by the end of next week.”
For now, there are only whispers. But Jerry Colangelo hears potential buyers are “milling around.” Former NHL star Jeremy Roenick said he’s been approached by Greg Jamison, the former San Jose Sharks CEO who is trying to raise sufficient funds. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman recently said there’s a third party involved, joining the Jamison Group and Chicago sports mogul Jerry Reinsdorf.
One source said this third party is not only very real, but extremely wealthy and spending serious money on due diligence.
Colangelo, a former owner of the NBA Suns and MLB Diamondbacks, was also part of the group that moved the Coyotes to Phoenix from Winnipeg, so if he’s hearing things, things are probably happening. To what degree they’ve progressed is the question.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5