Feb 17, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times reports the NHL will now keep a closer eye on arena clocks — especially in the final minute of a game — after investigating a timing snafu that gifted the Kings a win over Columbus earlier this month.
On Feb. 1, a scoreboard malfunction (the clock stalled with 1.8 seconds left) at the Staples Center allowed the Kings to score the game-winning goal when time should’ve already expired. The incident caused an uproar throughout the league and kickstarted an investigation by Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior vice president of hockey operations.
[He] said Thursday that the clock’s maker, Daktronics, had examined the clock and found “no defects.” He also said the off-ice crew working that game had been interviewed and that he was “completely satisfied” with the clock operator, whom he would not identify.
The investigation spurred Campbell to institute clock regulations for all NHL arenas, to prevent a similar error from occurring.
“We have initiated a number of steps to ensure there will be no clock issues in all arenas in the NHL,” Campbell told The Times in an email. “We are observing all ‘last minutes’ of each period to make sure there are no ‘blips’ or ‘pauses’ in the last minute in the video booths upstairs.
“In our new video room in Toronto we now receive live feeds of the overheads so we are not ‘slaved’ to TV waiting to see if they show the overheads.”
Campbell also stated off-ice crews in L.A. will be under a special kind of scrutiny moving forward, saying the NHL will rotate crew members’ duties “to avoid any thoughts there may be issues with the clock when opposing teams play at the Staples Center.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners