Feb 17, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
For the last three years, the NHL trade deadline usually meant it was time for Florida’s annual fire sale. (Cheap veterans available! All UFAs must go! Yes, we do rentals!)
Players shipped out during that time included Chris Higgins, Bryan Allen, Radek Dvorak, Jordan Leopold, Dominic Moore, Dennis Seidenberg, Dennis Wideman, Bryan McCabe and Cory Stillman, to name a few.
(Okay, to name a lot.)
But there will be no fire sale this year, according to Panthers GM Dale Tallon — far from it. Tallon is hell-bent on Florida making the playoffs for the first time in 11 years and to prove it, he showed the South Florida Sun-Sentinel a list of roughly a dozen crossed-off names of GMs that he’d called.
You know, just to show he meant business.
“We’re not sellers,” Tallon told the Sun-Sentinel. “We got five games before the deadline, so we’ll know better. We got a good team, so it’s a matter of adding pieces. We’re moving forward from here; we’re not subtracting.”
The Panthers hold a four-point lead over Washington for top spot in the Southeast Division but clearly want to add some offense. They rank 21st in goals and 26th in even-strength goals and have struggled to find secondary scoring beyond the top line of Kris Versteeg (22G), Tomas Fleischmann (18G) and Stephen Weiss (13G).
“The easier we can score goals, the better it is on your stomach,” Tallon said. “[But] the phones are really quiet. A lot of teams are still looking to see if they’re buying or selling, so they’re all kicking the tires.”
It sounds like Tallon is trying to add pieces up front, while leaving his blueline as is. Injured defensemen Ed Jovanovski and Jason Garrison are expected to return before the Feb. 27 deadline, meaning the Cats will have adequate depth in that department.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)