Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The first Stanley Cup riot sentencing went down Thursday in Vancouver, with Ryan Dickinson, 20, being given a 17-month jail sentence for his participation in the unrest (worth 16 months in the slammer), and also for breaching bail conditions from an unrelated assault charge (worth 1 month).
Now, if you think 16 months is a rather long sentence for throwing a newspaper box at a couple of unmarked police cars and throwing another newspaper box through a store window, well, you’d be right.
An explanation, via The Globe and Mail:
What impact Mr. Dickinson’s case has on others remains to be seen. His case is different from many of the other 51 people who’ve been charged because he had a criminal record. The Coquitlam resident was previously convicted for an assault in which he kicked a man in the head. He served 10 days in jail as a result and was under curfew the night of the riot.
The sentences that will be interesting to learn are the ones handed out to previously upstanding citizens who will say they “just got caught up in the moment” or “didn’t appreciate the magnitude of the situation” or “always wanted a Coach bag and this one here was free.”
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 0
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 3
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 10
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 35
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)