Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The first Stanley Cup riot sentencing went down Thursday in Vancouver, with Ryan Dickinson, 20, being given a 17-month jail sentence for his participation in the unrest (worth 16 months in the slammer), and also for breaching bail conditions from an unrelated assault charge (worth 1 month).
Now, if you think 16 months is a rather long sentence for throwing a newspaper box at a couple of unmarked police cars and throwing another newspaper box through a store window, well, you’d be right.
An explanation, via The Globe and Mail:
What impact Mr. Dickinson’s case has on others remains to be seen. His case is different from many of the other 51 people who’ve been charged because he had a criminal record. The Coquitlam resident was previously convicted for an assault in which he kicked a man in the head. He served 10 days in jail as a result and was under curfew the night of the riot.
The sentences that will be interesting to learn are the ones handed out to previously upstanding citizens who will say they “just got caught up in the moment” or “didn’t appreciate the magnitude of the situation” or “always wanted a Coach bag and this one here was free.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)