Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The first Stanley Cup riot sentencing went down Thursday in Vancouver, with Ryan Dickinson, 20, being given a 17-month jail sentence for his participation in the unrest (worth 16 months in the slammer), and also for breaching bail conditions from an unrelated assault charge (worth 1 month).
Now, if you think 16 months is a rather long sentence for throwing a newspaper box at a couple of unmarked police cars and throwing another newspaper box through a store window, well, you’d be right.
An explanation, via The Globe and Mail:
What impact Mr. Dickinson’s case has on others remains to be seen. His case is different from many of the other 51 people who’ve been charged because he had a criminal record. The Coquitlam resident was previously convicted for an assault in which he kicked a man in the head. He served 10 days in jail as a result and was under curfew the night of the riot.
The sentences that will be interesting to learn are the ones handed out to previously upstanding citizens who will say they “just got caught up in the moment” or “didn’t appreciate the magnitude of the situation” or “always wanted a Coach bag and this one here was free.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)