Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The first Stanley Cup riot sentencing went down Thursday in Vancouver, with Ryan Dickinson, 20, being given a 17-month jail sentence for his participation in the unrest (worth 16 months in the slammer), and also for breaching bail conditions from an unrelated assault charge (worth 1 month).
Now, if you think 16 months is a rather long sentence for throwing a newspaper box at a couple of unmarked police cars and throwing another newspaper box through a store window, well, you’d be right.
An explanation, via The Globe and Mail:
What impact Mr. Dickinson’s case has on others remains to be seen. His case is different from many of the other 51 people who’ve been charged because he had a criminal record. The Coquitlam resident was previously convicted for an assault in which he kicked a man in the head. He served 10 days in jail as a result and was under curfew the night of the riot.
The sentences that will be interesting to learn are the ones handed out to previously upstanding citizens who will say they “just got caught up in the moment” or “didn’t appreciate the magnitude of the situation” or “always wanted a Coach bag and this one here was free.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)