Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The first Stanley Cup riot sentencing went down Thursday in Vancouver, with Ryan Dickinson, 20, being given a 17-month jail sentence for his participation in the unrest (worth 16 months in the slammer), and also for breaching bail conditions from an unrelated assault charge (worth 1 month).
Now, if you think 16 months is a rather long sentence for throwing a newspaper box at a couple of unmarked police cars and throwing another newspaper box through a store window, well, you’d be right.
An explanation, via The Globe and Mail:
What impact Mr. Dickinson’s case has on others remains to be seen. His case is different from many of the other 51 people who’ve been charged because he had a criminal record. The Coquitlam resident was previously convicted for an assault in which he kicked a man in the head. He served 10 days in jail as a result and was under curfew the night of the riot.
The sentences that will be interesting to learn are the ones handed out to previously upstanding citizens who will say they “just got caught up in the moment” or “didn’t appreciate the magnitude of the situation” or “always wanted a Coach bag and this one here was free.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)