Feb 17, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
According to a report from ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, the NHL All-Star Game might be coming to the Windy City.
“[The Blackhawks] expressed interest in another All-Star Game, and the draft too, but more the All-Star Game,” league commissioner Bettman said Thursday. “We don’t generally go that far out [in scheduling], but [Chicago is] on the radar screen.”
This would be a big get for Chicago, which hasn’t hosted an NHL All-Star Game since 1991 at the old Chicago Stadium. Three Blackhawks (Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane) were selected to participate in the 2012 ASG in Ottawa and four made it the year before (Toews, Kane, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp), so it’s understandable that Chicago wants to land the game.
That said, it’s not like Chicago has been bereft of marquee events lately. The 2009 Bridgestone Winter Classic was held at Wrigley Field and three of the six 2010 Stanley Cup finals games were played at the United Center.
There is no formal date for announcing where the next All-Star Game will be played, though Bettman did announce Columbus was getting the 2013 event while in Ottawa for ASG weekend.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)