Feb 17, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
According to a report from ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, the NHL All-Star Game might be coming to the Windy City.
“[The Blackhawks] expressed interest in another All-Star Game, and the draft too, but more the All-Star Game,” league commissioner Bettman said Thursday. “We don’t generally go that far out [in scheduling], but [Chicago is] on the radar screen.”
This would be a big get for Chicago, which hasn’t hosted an NHL All-Star Game since 1991 at the old Chicago Stadium. Three Blackhawks (Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane) were selected to participate in the 2012 ASG in Ottawa and four made it the year before (Toews, Kane, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp), so it’s understandable that Chicago wants to land the game.
That said, it’s not like Chicago has been bereft of marquee events lately. The 2009 Bridgestone Winter Classic was held at Wrigley Field and three of the six 2010 Stanley Cup finals games were played at the United Center.
There is no formal date for announcing where the next All-Star Game will be played, though Bettman did announce Columbus was getting the 2013 event while in Ottawa for ASG weekend.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (55)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)