Feb 17, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
According to a report from ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, the NHL All-Star Game might be coming to the Windy City.
“[The Blackhawks] expressed interest in another All-Star Game, and the draft too, but more the All-Star Game,” league commissioner Bettman said Thursday. “We don’t generally go that far out [in scheduling], but [Chicago is] on the radar screen.”
This would be a big get for Chicago, which hasn’t hosted an NHL All-Star Game since 1991 at the old Chicago Stadium. Three Blackhawks (Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane) were selected to participate in the 2012 ASG in Ottawa and four made it the year before (Toews, Kane, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp), so it’s understandable that Chicago wants to land the game.
That said, it’s not like Chicago has been bereft of marquee events lately. The 2009 Bridgestone Winter Classic was held at Wrigley Field and three of the six 2010 Stanley Cup finals games were played at the United Center.
There is no formal date for announcing where the next All-Star Game will be played, though Bettman did announce Columbus was getting the 2013 event while in Ottawa for ASG weekend.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 9
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)