Feb 17, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
According to a report from ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, the NHL All-Star Game might be coming to the Windy City.
“[The Blackhawks] expressed interest in another All-Star Game, and the draft too, but more the All-Star Game,” league commissioner Bettman said Thursday. “We don’t generally go that far out [in scheduling], but [Chicago is] on the radar screen.”
This would be a big get for Chicago, which hasn’t hosted an NHL All-Star Game since 1991 at the old Chicago Stadium. Three Blackhawks (Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane) were selected to participate in the 2012 ASG in Ottawa and four made it the year before (Toews, Kane, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp), so it’s understandable that Chicago wants to land the game.
That said, it’s not like Chicago has been bereft of marquee events lately. The 2009 Bridgestone Winter Classic was held at Wrigley Field and three of the six 2010 Stanley Cup finals games were played at the United Center.
There is no formal date for announcing where the next All-Star Game will be played, though Bettman did announce Columbus was getting the 2013 event while in Ottawa for ASG weekend.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games