Feb 16, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
Shortly after holding Pavel Kubina out of practice to “protect our interest”, Lighting GM Steve Yzerman spoke with the Tampa Tribune about what’s in store for his veteran blueliner.
“We’re making our decisions on a player-by-player and opportunity-by-opportunity basis,” Yzerman said. “We see potential opportunity to improve our club with regards to Pavel.”
Translation: Someone (maybe more than one) has expressed interest in acquiring the 34-year-old defenseman.
Because of this interest, Yzerman has asked Kubina to work within the confines of his modified no-trade clause and provide a list of teams to which he is willing to be traded. Also, not to practice or play anymore.
“In the interim, we’ve decided to protect our interest and keep Pavel off the ice until this situation is resolved,” Yzerman said. “The broader strategy is we want to be a better team in the future. We want to be a Cup contender at some point, and we’re going to have to do some things to become that.”
Kubina becoming a commodity shouldn’t come as a surprise. Many of the defensemen expected to be available at the deadline — Francois Beauchemin, Tim Gleason, Andy Sutton — have re-upped with their respective teams, meaning there are fewer options for plug-and-play blueliners at this stage of the season.
Kubina’s had an average year (3G-8A-11PTS) but is still a big, right-handed shooting defenseman that can play 20 minutes a night and has plenty of playoff experience, winning a Stanley Cup with Tampa in 2004.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)