Feb 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
All apologies to Ryan O’Marra and Bryan Rodney, but the first major trade of the day just went down: Philadelphia has sent a second-round pick in 2012 and a third-round pick in 2013 to Dallas in exchange for defenseman Nicklas Grossman.
Grossman — 6-foot-4, 226-pounds — has been with the Stars organization since the lockout and emerged as one of Dallas’ most physical players. He was third among all defensemen with 96 hits this season and led the team in blocked shots, with 100. He was averaging just under 19 minutes of ice time per game.
The 27-year-old rearguard has represented Sweden in various international tournaments and captained the national team at the 2005 World Junior Hockey Championships.
Some might see the move as Dallas waiving a white towel on the season and kickstarting a fire sale, but that’s not necessarily the case. The Stars still have a solid top-six in Trevor Daley, Stephane Robidas, Sheldon Souray, Alex Goligoski, Mark Fistric and Philip Larsen with Adam Pardy and Jordie Benn in reserve.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (72)