Feb 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
All apologies to Ryan O’Marra and Bryan Rodney, but the first major trade of the day just went down: Philadelphia has sent a second-round pick in 2012 and a third-round pick in 2013 to Dallas in exchange for defenseman Nicklas Grossman.
Grossman — 6-foot-4, 226-pounds — has been with the Stars organization since the lockout and emerged as one of Dallas’ most physical players. He was third among all defensemen with 96 hits this season and led the team in blocked shots, with 100. He was averaging just under 19 minutes of ice time per game.
The 27-year-old rearguard has represented Sweden in various international tournaments and captained the national team at the 2005 World Junior Hockey Championships.
Some might see the move as Dallas waiving a white towel on the season and kickstarting a fire sale, but that’s not necessarily the case. The Stars still have a solid top-six in Trevor Daley, Stephane Robidas, Sheldon Souray, Alex Goligoski, Mark Fistric and Philip Larsen with Adam Pardy and Jordie Benn in reserve.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)