Feb 16, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Making the 2012 All-Star team ranks as a great accomplishment for Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn, but it wouldn’t be accurate to say that he’s been very lucky this season.
Benn missed a handful of games with an appendectomy and might miss quite a few more if tonight’s injury is significant. Mike Heika reports that Benn cut his leg after battling along the boards with Mark Giordano and – to little surprise – the team reveals that he won’t return to the game. Another update: the Stars are listing Benn as day-to-day and believe that he could actually play on Sunday. Wow.
The Stars already made a seller-type move by trading Nicklas Grossman, but many reasonably argued that didn’t officially place them in the “sellers” category. Losing Benn for an extended amount of time could very well plant them there, even if the team has rolled with some injury punches already this season.
Update: Jamie Benn’s older brother provides a sigh-of-relief Tweet via his wonderfully named “dartheighter” account:
Now, it remains to be seen if “fine” means in the grand scheme of things or if he won’t miss a game. Still, this is great news for the Stars and their fans – not to mention Mama Benn.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63