Feb 16, 2012, 10:40 PM EST
Making the 2012 All-Star team ranks as a great accomplishment for Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn, but it wouldn’t be accurate to say that he’s been very lucky this season.
Benn missed a handful of games with an appendectomy and might miss quite a few more if tonight’s injury is significant. Mike Heika reports that Benn cut his leg after battling along the boards with Mark Giordano and – to little surprise – the team reveals that he won’t return to the game. Another update: the Stars are listing Benn as day-to-day and believe that he could actually play on Sunday. Wow.
The Stars already made a seller-type move by trading Nicklas Grossman, but many reasonably argued that didn’t officially place them in the “sellers” category. Losing Benn for an extended amount of time could very well plant them there, even if the team has rolled with some injury punches already this season.
Update: Jamie Benn’s older brother provides a sigh-of-relief Tweet via his wonderfully named “dartheighter” account:
Now, it remains to be seen if “fine” means in the grand scheme of things or if he won’t miss a game. Still, this is great news for the Stars and their fans – not to mention Mama Benn.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2