Feb 16, 2012, 10:40 PM EST
Making the 2012 All-Star team ranks as a great accomplishment for Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn, but it wouldn’t be accurate to say that he’s been very lucky this season.
Benn missed a handful of games with an appendectomy and might miss quite a few more if tonight’s injury is significant. Mike Heika reports that Benn cut his leg after battling along the boards with Mark Giordano and – to little surprise – the team reveals that he won’t return to the game. Another update: the Stars are listing Benn as day-to-day and believe that he could actually play on Sunday. Wow.
The Stars already made a seller-type move by trading Nicklas Grossman, but many reasonably argued that didn’t officially place them in the “sellers” category. Losing Benn for an extended amount of time could very well plant them there, even if the team has rolled with some injury punches already this season.
Update: Jamie Benn’s older brother provides a sigh-of-relief Tweet via his wonderfully named “dartheighter” account:
Now, it remains to be seen if “fine” means in the grand scheme of things or if he won’t miss a game. Still, this is great news for the Stars and their fans – not to mention Mama Benn.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)