Feb 16, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Making the 2012 All-Star team ranks as a great accomplishment for Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn, but it wouldn’t be accurate to say that he’s been very lucky this season.
Benn missed a handful of games with an appendectomy and might miss quite a few more if tonight’s injury is significant. Mike Heika reports that Benn cut his leg after battling along the boards with Mark Giordano and – to little surprise – the team reveals that he won’t return to the game. Another update: the Stars are listing Benn as day-to-day and believe that he could actually play on Sunday. Wow.
The Stars already made a seller-type move by trading Nicklas Grossman, but many reasonably argued that didn’t officially place them in the “sellers” category. Losing Benn for an extended amount of time could very well plant them there, even if the team has rolled with some injury punches already this season.
Update: Jamie Benn’s older brother provides a sigh-of-relief Tweet via his wonderfully named “dartheighter” account:
Now, it remains to be seen if “fine” means in the grand scheme of things or if he won’t miss a game. Still, this is great news for the Stars and their fans – not to mention Mama Benn.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40