Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
No matter how many times Chicago general manager Stan Bowman says he isn’t looking for another goalie, if the Islanders were willing to trade Evgeni Nabokov, it’s hard to believe there wouldn’t be interest.
And if there isn’t, there should be.
Consider Bowman’s alternatives:
—- Go after a guy like Nikolai Khabibulin, a 39-year-old who hasn’t even been very good since a hot start and has a year left on his contract.
Nabokov, on the other hand, would give Bowman a veteran with playoff experience that’s playing great and has an expiring contract, meaning the Blackhawks could remain committed to Crawford as their goalie of the future.
Just one problem – Garth Snow doesn’t want to trade Nabokov. The Isles’ GM thinks his team can make the playoffs, despite the fact it’s eight points back of eighth place in the Eastern Conference with just 26 games left to make up the difference.
It’s been projected that 92 points will be needed to make the playoffs in the East, meaning the Isles would have to go something like 18-8-0 to sneak in. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all.
Of course, Snow has to consider how trading Nabokov would look to his players and the fans. Nabokov also has a no-movement clause – never know, maybe he really likes it on Long Island.
Let’s throw it out to Isles fans – what do you think Snow should do with Nabokov? What do you think he will do?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)