Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
No matter how many times Chicago general manager Stan Bowman says he isn’t looking for another goalie, if the Islanders were willing to trade Evgeni Nabokov, it’s hard to believe there wouldn’t be interest.
And if there isn’t, there should be.
Consider Bowman’s alternatives:
—- Go after a guy like Nikolai Khabibulin, a 39-year-old who hasn’t even been very good since a hot start and has a year left on his contract.
Nabokov, on the other hand, would give Bowman a veteran with playoff experience that’s playing great and has an expiring contract, meaning the Blackhawks could remain committed to Crawford as their goalie of the future.
Just one problem – Garth Snow doesn’t want to trade Nabokov. The Isles’ GM thinks his team can make the playoffs, despite the fact it’s eight points back of eighth place in the Eastern Conference with just 26 games left to make up the difference.
It’s been projected that 92 points will be needed to make the playoffs in the East, meaning the Isles would have to go something like 18-8-0 to sneak in. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all.
Of course, Snow has to consider how trading Nabokov would look to his players and the fans. Nabokov also has a no-movement clause – never know, maybe he really likes it on Long Island.
Let’s throw it out to Isles fans – what do you think Snow should do with Nabokov? What do you think he will do?
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)