Feb 16, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
David Shoalts of The Globe and Mail reports that Don Levin — owner of the AHL’s Chicago Wolves — has expressed interest in an NHL franchise for Seattle.
Levin told Shoalts that if hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen is successful in building an arena in Seattle and bringing back an NBA team, he’d be willing to get involved on the NHL front.
“If he’s successful, I’d be very happy to be involved,” Levin said. “I told [Hansen] if he has something put together I would be interested.”
Levin is the founder of D.R.L. Enterprises, a Chicago-based company that dabbles in a variety of fields including aircraft and medical equipment leasing, sports products, tobacco processing and motion picture production. Levin told Shoalts he’s had past conversations with NHL commissioner about owning an NHL team, though never in Seattle specifically.
In an email to The Globe, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed these talks.
“We have had conversations with Don Levin over the period of the last several years about his potential interest in owning an NHL franchise,” Daly said. “None of those discussions occurred recently and none have involved the Phoenix Coyotes.”
The Coyotes are the team most often linked with potential NHL relocation given their lack of ownership and issues with the city of Glendale.
It should be noted Levin isn’t the only potential owner in the mix. He said there may be another interested party located in Bellevue, Wash., that may be putting together a competing arena proposal in Seattle, though Levin declined to identify the person (or persons) involved.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)