Feb 16, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
The game rules are as follows:
1) Use the Hockey Day in America Challenge Facebook App.
2) Pick who you think will win the following five games: Pittsburgh Penguins at Buffalo Sabres (NBC, 12:30 PM ET), San Jose Sharks at Detroit Red Wings (NBC, 12:30 PM ET), St. Louis Blues at Chicago Blackhawks (NBC, 12:30 PM ET), Boston Bruins at Minnesota Wild (NBC, 3:30 PM ET), New Jersey Devils at Montreal Canadiens (NBC Sports Network, 6:00 PM ET).
3) Choose the number of total goals you think will be scored in all five Hockey Day in America games.
4) Make sure to fill out your picks by Sunday, 12:00 PM ET.
The entrant that correctly predicts each winner and total number of goals scored will be named the MVP and featured on the NHL on NBC Sports Facebook page.
In case you need help making your picks, here are some from PHT’s Mike Halford and Jason Brough:
Pittsburgh at Buffalo
Halford: The Sabres were embarrassed 8-3 the last time they faced the Penguins, so there’s a revenge factor at play. There’s also the fatigue issue — Pittsburgh plays Philly on Saturday — so I’m going with Buffalo.
Brough: Don’t look now, but the Sabres are playing…not terrible. Buffalo wins in a squeaker.
San Jose at Detroit
Halford: I see no reason to pick against a team that’s won 21 straight at home. Detroit.
Brough: The Wings have been unbeatable at the Joe, but I’m going with the Sharks because there’s a small chance I could look like a genius and I’m used to looking dumb.
St. Louis at Chicago
Halford: These two have split the season series (1-1), but both games were at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. This one will be at the United Center, where the ‘Hawks are 19-6-4 this year. I’ll take Chicago.
Brough: Here’s my theory — the ‘Hawks will be so happy to get home after nine straight games away from the United Center that they’ll come out with a ton of positive energy. And if that doesn’t work, the Blues aren’t a great road team anyway. Chicago still wins.
Boston at Minnesota
Halford:The Wild were tops in the NHL on Dec. 10. Today, they’re in 21st. That has a lot to do with the fact they’ve gone 5-16-5 over the last 26 games. As such, I’m rolling with Boston.
Brough: How bad are the Wild? The Wild are so bad they lost at home to Columbus last week. Easy win for the B’s here.
New Jersey at Montreal
Halford: Have to like what Ilya Kovalchuk‘s doing for the Devils right now. He’s ninth in league scoring (56 points) while playing almost 25 minutes a night, most among all NHL forwards. Riding the hot hand here, taking New Jersey.
Brough: This one’s a coin toss. So I’m going to toss a coin. And the coin has come up…Habs.
As for total goals scored, both Halford and Brough went with 25.
Hey, it’s a 3-2 league. Just ask Darryl Sutter.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 76
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 61
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7