Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Bruins are livid with Canadiens fans after they cheered Zdeno Chara’s injury during Boston’s 4-3 shootout victory at the Bell Center on Wednesday night.
“That was embarrassing,” Brad Marchand told Comcast New England. “The fact that they were cheering like they did when Zee was hurt was classless.”
Here’s the incident in question:
The puck opened up a large gash on Chara’s chin that required stitches and while he was able to return to the game, the Bruins captain looked out of sorts, finishing minus-three on the night.
Following the game, Chara was visibly upset with the Montreal crowd.
“[The] way the fans [react] I can’t control, but at the same time it’s not sportsmanlike and it’s disappointing,” said Chara. “When a guy is laying down on the ice hurting and there’s a standing ovation for that, what can I say? There is nothing much I can say about it.”
Chara did make a point of mentioning a classy gesture from Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec, who shot the puck that hit him in the face.
“[Plekanec] asked me about it afterwards,” he said. “That’s a really nice sportsman’s gesture. I appreciated that.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 18
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)