Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Bruins are livid with Canadiens fans after they cheered Zdeno Chara’s injury during Boston’s 4-3 shootout victory at the Bell Center on Wednesday night.
“That was embarrassing,” Brad Marchand told Comcast New England. “The fact that they were cheering like they did when Zee was hurt was classless.”
Here’s the incident in question:
The puck opened up a large gash on Chara’s chin that required stitches and while he was able to return to the game, the Bruins captain looked out of sorts, finishing minus-three on the night.
Following the game, Chara was visibly upset with the Montreal crowd.
“[The] way the fans [react] I can’t control, but at the same time it’s not sportsmanlike and it’s disappointing,” said Chara. “When a guy is laying down on the ice hurting and there’s a standing ovation for that, what can I say? There is nothing much I can say about it.”
Chara did make a point of mentioning a classy gesture from Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec, who shot the puck that hit him in the face.
“[Plekanec] asked me about it afterwards,” he said. “That’s a really nice sportsman’s gesture. I appreciated that.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)