Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Bruins are livid with Canadiens fans after they cheered Zdeno Chara’s injury during Boston’s 4-3 shootout victory at the Bell Center on Wednesday night.
“That was embarrassing,” Brad Marchand told Comcast New England. “The fact that they were cheering like they did when Zee was hurt was classless.”
Here’s the incident in question:
The puck opened up a large gash on Chara’s chin that required stitches and while he was able to return to the game, the Bruins captain looked out of sorts, finishing minus-three on the night.
Following the game, Chara was visibly upset with the Montreal crowd.
“[The] way the fans [react] I can’t control, but at the same time it’s not sportsmanlike and it’s disappointing,” said Chara. “When a guy is laying down on the ice hurting and there’s a standing ovation for that, what can I say? There is nothing much I can say about it.”
Chara did make a point of mentioning a classy gesture from Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec, who shot the puck that hit him in the face.
“[Plekanec] asked me about it afterwards,” he said. “That’s a really nice sportsman’s gesture. I appreciated that.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (97)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)