Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Bruins are livid with Canadiens fans after they cheered Zdeno Chara’s injury during Boston’s 4-3 shootout victory at the Bell Center on Wednesday night.
“That was embarrassing,” Brad Marchand told Comcast New England. “The fact that they were cheering like they did when Zee was hurt was classless.”
Here’s the incident in question:
The puck opened up a large gash on Chara’s chin that required stitches and while he was able to return to the game, the Bruins captain looked out of sorts, finishing minus-three on the night.
Following the game, Chara was visibly upset with the Montreal crowd.
“[The] way the fans [react] I can’t control, but at the same time it’s not sportsmanlike and it’s disappointing,” said Chara. “When a guy is laying down on the ice hurting and there’s a standing ovation for that, what can I say? There is nothing much I can say about it.”
Chara did make a point of mentioning a classy gesture from Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec, who shot the puck that hit him in the face.
“[Plekanec] asked me about it afterwards,” he said. “That’s a really nice sportsman’s gesture. I appreciated that.”
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 0
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12