Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Another day, another trade deadline target off the list.
This time, it’s disgruntled Washington forward Mike Knuble. A healthy scratch for the last three games, Knuble has publicly (and repeatedly) voiced displeasure with his reduced role under head coach Dale Hunter — but apparently hasn’t asked Caps GM George McPhee to be dealt.
Which is good, because McPhee has no intention of dealing him.
“Mike has never asked for anything,” McPhee told CSN Washington. “We haven’t had any conversations, period. He’s a great pro, a great guy and we have no interest in trading him. He hasn’t asked for that and we haven’t talked to him about it.”
So that’s that, then.
Looking ahead, McPhee said he expects Knuble to rejoin the Caps lineup on Friday in Florida and hopes the benching will have done his 39-year-old assistant captain some good.
“Sometimes the best thing you can do for a player is to sit him down for a couple games,” McPhee said. “I think it’s healthy for players to sit down, get a fresh perspective and they’re almost always better when they come back.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)