Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Another day, another trade deadline target off the list.
This time, it’s disgruntled Washington forward Mike Knuble. A healthy scratch for the last three games, Knuble has publicly (and repeatedly) voiced displeasure with his reduced role under head coach Dale Hunter — but apparently hasn’t asked Caps GM George McPhee to be dealt.
Which is good, because McPhee has no intention of dealing him.
“Mike has never asked for anything,” McPhee told CSN Washington. “We haven’t had any conversations, period. He’s a great pro, a great guy and we have no interest in trading him. He hasn’t asked for that and we haven’t talked to him about it.”
So that’s that, then.
Looking ahead, McPhee said he expects Knuble to rejoin the Caps lineup on Friday in Florida and hopes the benching will have done his 39-year-old assistant captain some good.
“Sometimes the best thing you can do for a player is to sit him down for a couple games,” McPhee said. “I think it’s healthy for players to sit down, get a fresh perspective and they’re almost always better when they come back.”
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 14
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)