Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Another day, another trade deadline target off the list.
This time, it’s disgruntled Washington forward Mike Knuble. A healthy scratch for the last three games, Knuble has publicly (and repeatedly) voiced displeasure with his reduced role under head coach Dale Hunter — but apparently hasn’t asked Caps GM George McPhee to be dealt.
Which is good, because McPhee has no intention of dealing him.
“Mike has never asked for anything,” McPhee told CSN Washington. “We haven’t had any conversations, period. He’s a great pro, a great guy and we have no interest in trading him. He hasn’t asked for that and we haven’t talked to him about it.”
So that’s that, then.
Looking ahead, McPhee said he expects Knuble to rejoin the Caps lineup on Friday in Florida and hopes the benching will have done his 39-year-old assistant captain some good.
“Sometimes the best thing you can do for a player is to sit him down for a couple games,” McPhee said. “I think it’s healthy for players to sit down, get a fresh perspective and they’re almost always better when they come back.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)