Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Another day, another trade deadline target off the list.
This time, it’s disgruntled Washington forward Mike Knuble. A healthy scratch for the last three games, Knuble has publicly (and repeatedly) voiced displeasure with his reduced role under head coach Dale Hunter — but apparently hasn’t asked Caps GM George McPhee to be dealt.
Which is good, because McPhee has no intention of dealing him.
“Mike has never asked for anything,” McPhee told CSN Washington. “We haven’t had any conversations, period. He’s a great pro, a great guy and we have no interest in trading him. He hasn’t asked for that and we haven’t talked to him about it.”
So that’s that, then.
Looking ahead, McPhee said he expects Knuble to rejoin the Caps lineup on Friday in Florida and hopes the benching will have done his 39-year-old assistant captain some good.
“Sometimes the best thing you can do for a player is to sit him down for a couple games,” McPhee said. “I think it’s healthy for players to sit down, get a fresh perspective and they’re almost always better when they come back.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 4
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)