Feb 16, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks broke their insanity-inducing nine-game losing streak tonight by beating the New York Rangers 4-2. You could argue that the win was achieved in the first 10 minutes of the contest as Chicago burst out to a 4-0 lead in 9:38 of game time.
Sure, the Rangers might have been a little bushed after shutting out the Boston Bruins in a clash of East titans on Tuesday, but that’s still a nice way for the ‘Hawks to break a slump.
Chicago fired 10 shots on net in the first before nursing that lead through the rest of the game, as they were out-shot 19-12 in the final 40 minutes. New York certainly had its chances, too. John Tortorella might have to hold his tongue to avoid critiquing officials for blowing one goal dead and the Rangers power play went 0-for-7 on the night.
It’s obvious that the Blackhawks’ big guns lead the way. Marian Hossa looked like the guy who was arguably the team’s best forward early in the season, scoring a goal and an assist. Perhaps Patrick Kane can ward off some of the ridiculous trade rumors after collecting an assist in a crucial win. Jonathan Toews had a goal and an assist of his own.
As bad as things have been for Chicago, the team is currently ranked sixth overall in the West. Their hopes of taking the Central Division have probably just-about dried up, but the most important thing is that the Blackhawks are back on track.
Check out the highlights below:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)