Feb 16, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks broke their insanity-inducing nine-game losing streak tonight by beating the New York Rangers 4-2. You could argue that the win was achieved in the first 10 minutes of the contest as Chicago burst out to a 4-0 lead in 9:38 of game time.
Sure, the Rangers might have been a little bushed after shutting out the Boston Bruins in a clash of East titans on Tuesday, but that’s still a nice way for the ‘Hawks to break a slump.
Chicago fired 10 shots on net in the first before nursing that lead through the rest of the game, as they were out-shot 19-12 in the final 40 minutes. New York certainly had its chances, too. John Tortorella might have to hold his tongue to avoid critiquing officials for blowing one goal dead and the Rangers power play went 0-for-7 on the night.
It’s obvious that the Blackhawks’ big guns lead the way. Marian Hossa looked like the guy who was arguably the team’s best forward early in the season, scoring a goal and an assist. Perhaps Patrick Kane can ward off some of the ridiculous trade rumors after collecting an assist in a crucial win. Jonathan Toews had a goal and an assist of his own.
As bad as things have been for Chicago, the team is currently ranked sixth overall in the West. Their hopes of taking the Central Division have probably just-about dried up, but the most important thing is that the Blackhawks are back on track.
Check out the highlights below:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)