Feb 16, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks continue to be active in the “trading minor-leaguers” market.
Today, the Ducks flipped defenseman Bryan Rodney to Edmonton in exchange for center Ryan O’Marra. Rodney’s played exclusively with AHL Syracuse since coming over from Carolina in the offseason (he did play 33 games for the ‘Canes) while O’Marra has spent the majority of his season in AHL Oklahoma City, appearing in just seven NHL contests with the Oilers.
This is the third minor-league swap Anaheim’s pulled off recently. In January, the Ducks sent Nicolas Deschamps to Toronto in exchange for Luca Caputi and on Monday, sent forward Maxime Macenauer to Winnipeg for Riley Holzapfel.
It’ll be interesting to see what the Ducks do with 24-year-old O’Marra. He was taken 15th overall by the Islanders at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and part of the blockbuster deal (along with 2003 first-round pick Robert Nilsson) that saw Ryan Smyth go from Edmonton to Long Island.
O’Marra was once thought to be part of the Oilers’ rebuilding project, but only appeared in 31 games over three seasons with the club.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 7
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)