Feb 16, 2012, 5:14 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks continue to be active in the “trading minor-leaguers” market.
Today, the Ducks flipped defenseman Bryan Rodney to Edmonton in exchange for center Ryan O’Marra. Rodney’s played exclusively with AHL Syracuse since coming over from Carolina in the offseason (he did play 33 games for the ‘Canes) while O’Marra has spent the majority of his season in AHL Oklahoma City, appearing in just seven NHL contests with the Oilers.
This is the third minor-league swap Anaheim’s pulled off recently. In January, the Ducks sent Nicolas Deschamps to Toronto in exchange for Luca Caputi and on Monday, sent forward Maxime Macenauer to Winnipeg for Riley Holzapfel.
It’ll be interesting to see what the Ducks do with 24-year-old O’Marra. He was taken 15th overall by the Islanders at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and part of the blockbuster deal (along with 2003 first-round pick Robert Nilsson) that saw Ryan Smyth go from Edmonton to Long Island.
O’Marra was once thought to be part of the Oilers’ rebuilding project, but only appeared in 31 games over three seasons with the club.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)