Feb 16, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
Today in Seattle, Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine announced plans for a new half-billion-dollar arena that could house both an NBA and NHL team.
Courtesy the Seattle Times:
The $500 million arena would be paid for mostly by a private investment group led by Seattle native Christopher Hansen, but includes city and county financing that would be repaid over the next 30 years through rent on the arena and tax revenue it generates, including property, sales and admissions taxes.
Arena construction would take around two years, though according to Times reporter Emily Heffter…
If that’s the case, coordination between the NHL and NBA will be paramount. Hey, good thing the NHL owns the Phoenix Coyotes and the NBA owns the New Orleans Hornets.
According to a city press release, Hansen “and his investor group would bear the costs associated with acquiring an NBA team and seek a partner who would recruit an NHL team to the new facility.”
Next step — get Hansen, his NHL partner, Gary Bettman and David Stern in a room, a signature here, an initial there, let’s start construction.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)