Feb 16, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
Today in Seattle, Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine announced plans for a new half-billion-dollar arena that could house both an NBA and NHL team.
Courtesy the Seattle Times:
The $500 million arena would be paid for mostly by a private investment group led by Seattle native Christopher Hansen, but includes city and county financing that would be repaid over the next 30 years through rent on the arena and tax revenue it generates, including property, sales and admissions taxes.
Arena construction would take around two years, though according to Times reporter Emily Heffter…
If that’s the case, coordination between the NHL and NBA will be paramount. Hey, good thing the NHL owns the Phoenix Coyotes and the NBA owns the New Orleans Hornets.
According to a city press release, Hansen “and his investor group would bear the costs associated with acquiring an NBA team and seek a partner who would recruit an NHL team to the new facility.”
Next step — get Hansen, his NHL partner, Gary Bettman and David Stern in a room, a signature here, an initial there, let’s start construction.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)