Feb 15, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Marek Zidlicky‘s sulking days in Minnesota may soon be at an end.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported this morning that Zidlicky has waived his no-trade clause to go to New Jersey. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune confirms Dreger’s report with Zidlicky’s agent but says that there is no deal done as of yet between the two teams.
Zidlicky’s time in Minnesota of late has been strained. Zidlicky has been a healthy scratch often of late by coach Mike Yeo, something that didn’t sit well with the defenseman. Zidlicky ripped Yeo saying that he just wanted to play easy hockey. Yeo took the high road in saying that Zidlicky didn’t handle things the right way.
One note Russo made with how things have been with Zidlicky is how the Wild play when he’s in and out of the lineup. Over the last 21 games Zidlicky has played, the Wild have gone 2-14-5 and they’re 13-4-0 in the last 17 without him. Whether that’s a coincidence or Zidlicky is a jinx is up to you to decide, but those numbers are silly.
New Jersey’s interest is curious here as Zidlicky has one more year left on his deal that comes with a $4 million cap hit. Zidlicky isn’t too impressive defensively but bringing him in as a puck mover might help with Henrik Tallinder and Adam Larsson being banged up.
Update (10:58 a.m.): Michael Russo spoke with Wild GM Chuck Fletcher who says that he hasn’t asked Zidlicky to waive his NTC for any specific deal.
“I can tell you for sure I’m planning on talking to other teams. We haven’t traded Zid, we haven’t made the decision to trade Zid at this point. I have not formally asked him to do anything because at this point I honestly don’t have anything to take to him, I don’t have anything for him to say yes or no too.”
Fletcher clearly doesn’t want to be held to dealing with just one team here which is just helping make this whole situation that much stranger.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54