Feb 15, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Marek Zidlicky‘s sulking days in Minnesota may soon be at an end.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported this morning that Zidlicky has waived his no-trade clause to go to New Jersey. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune confirms Dreger’s report with Zidlicky’s agent but says that there is no deal done as of yet between the two teams.
Zidlicky’s time in Minnesota of late has been strained. Zidlicky has been a healthy scratch often of late by coach Mike Yeo, something that didn’t sit well with the defenseman. Zidlicky ripped Yeo saying that he just wanted to play easy hockey. Yeo took the high road in saying that Zidlicky didn’t handle things the right way.
One note Russo made with how things have been with Zidlicky is how the Wild play when he’s in and out of the lineup. Over the last 21 games Zidlicky has played, the Wild have gone 2-14-5 and they’re 13-4-0 in the last 17 without him. Whether that’s a coincidence or Zidlicky is a jinx is up to you to decide, but those numbers are silly.
New Jersey’s interest is curious here as Zidlicky has one more year left on his deal that comes with a $4 million cap hit. Zidlicky isn’t too impressive defensively but bringing him in as a puck mover might help with Henrik Tallinder and Adam Larsson being banged up.
Update (10:58 a.m.): Michael Russo spoke with Wild GM Chuck Fletcher who says that he hasn’t asked Zidlicky to waive his NTC for any specific deal.
“I can tell you for sure I’m planning on talking to other teams. We haven’t traded Zid, we haven’t made the decision to trade Zid at this point. I have not formally asked him to do anything because at this point I honestly don’t have anything to take to him, I don’t have anything for him to say yes or no too.”
Fletcher clearly doesn’t want to be held to dealing with just one team here which is just helping make this whole situation that much stranger.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)