Feb 15, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
After the bombshell dropped yesterday that the Columbus Blue Jackets are listening to offers for Rick Nash followed up by the news that Nash has given GM Scott Howson a list of teams he’d waive his no-movement clause for, everyone is wondering just where he’d want to go.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch wrote about the ever-increasingly fascinating situation surrounding Nash and dropped the name of a few teams strongly believed to be on Nash’s list of up to ten teams he’d accept a trade to.
Among the clubs believed to be interested are the New York Rangers, Los Angeles, San Jose, Toronto and Montreal.
The Rangers are reportedly more than interested and the Kings and Maple Leafs being on this list aren’t shocking. Seeing the Sharks and Canadiens is surprising.
Nash had great chemistry with Joe Thornton when they played together in the Olympics as well as in Switzerland during the lockout season in 2004-2005. San Jose would have to find a way to move out a lot of salary to land Nash; Cap Geek shows the Sharks have over $55 million already committed to next year’s payroll.
Montreal is a curious pick because of the tumultuous times there recently thanks to GM Pierre Gauthier being on the hot seat and interim coach Randy Cunneyworth being put through the language wringer.
This is only the start of the swelling Nash trade speculation insanity. Expect more teams with serious interest to become known leading up to the trade deadline on February 27.
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 1
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 58
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)